Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bits and Pieces...my wandering mind

Natalie's choir concert was Tuesday night, the same day as my dad's 70th birthday. The doc called him not to wish him a happy birthday, but to tell him he now has type 2 diabetes. A common affliction among those his age, I guess. He can control it without insulin, so we're happy about that. No more of my PBO cookies, though. His very favorite.....
On Wednesday, I still wasn't feeling very well. I'm getting the cold everyone else has had, plus I'm pushing myself extra hard to try to get a million things done. Despite all of that, I baked cookies with the girls, did laundry, and got things ready for their school parties and teachers. Serena had her class party today, which I spent half the morning preparing for.... yawn....
Tonight we head over to celebrate dad's birthday, then Steve and I need to finish all the Christmas shopping. The girls are done, but we have little last minute things to get. We also have to paint 2 wooden puzzles for our great nieces....yawn....
In all of this hubbub and stress, fatigue and crankiness, we have not forgotten what Christmas is really about. It would be wonderful not to have all these extra things going on, but that's just the way December is and probably always will be.
I will be seeing some family and friends who are coming from long distances and I am looking forward to that.
On December 23rd of last year, while we sat in church, we got word that my Grandma Brown had passed away. Last Christmas was one of the worst we've ever had. In September this year, my uncle passed away. Some of the best times we've had as families were at Christmas time. Grandma with her giggle, carrying in wonderful food and gifts, her homemade towels, slippers, and pecan tarts. Uncle Larry with his gag gift, jokes, and easy laugh. It will be a tough Christmas again, but since those losses, other members of our family have grown closer together.
Holidays are tough for those who have lost someone.
You'll notice you're not getting much commentary from me. I am bone tired!
I am taking a vacation from my blog for awhile. Maybe a couple of weeks while the kids are home. Patty is coming home from Missouri and I hope to be able to see her. They will be checking out houses in Kalamazoo, so time will be limited. The weather may change all of that too. Serena's birthday is 2 days after Christmas, then we spend NYE with Glen and Sara. Lots of fun stuff coming!
I pray you all have a wonderful, safe, and blessed Christmas season. Enjoy your families, find time to be peaceful and quiet, and find time for fun and laughter. Hug a little longer, be generous with kind words, and make sure you let them know things wouldn't be the same without them.

Love to all .....yawn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...