Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More Inspiring Food Wisdom

While I'm on the food kick this week, I have to tell you about this lady I saw on TV. She wrote a book called Vice Busting. I fail to remember her name, but I do remember what she said, and it was quite enlightening.

She has lost 130 pounds and kept it off within a 20 pound range for quite a long time. She's a busy working mom who depended on fast foods to get her through her work week, and often while running her kids here and there.

In front of her were two plates of food. Both plates contained fast food burgers and fries. One plate was 7 years old, and one was 14 years old. The scary thing was that they looked exactly the same. Even scarier? They didn't look very aged at all! She also had a plate of fresh potatoes, which were pretty much composted to show how food breaks down naturally.
The burgers, although the buns looked dried out, really didn't look all that bad. The fries were still greasy and salty feeling. I only wish we could apply those same preservatives to our aging skin and hair!! I could be 29 forever!
It's not really news to me that fast food is unhealthy and laden with preservatives, but it really concerns me that the marketing of these products is so heavy with "have it your way" and "you deserve a break today". No, I deserve to live a long healthy life, thank you very much. My kids deserve fresh, chemical-free food as well.

So, how many times have you used fast food to get you through a busy time or to shut the kids up in the back seat? Those nuggets are amazing bribery tools, aren't they? I know I've darkened McDonald's door way too many times, and purchased way too much junk there. It tastes good, it's true, but how I feel after I eat it is just not worth it anymore.
I really don't think you have to give up McDonald's forever, but I do think we should stop being so drawn in by a quick fix when it comes to food. Don't rip the fries out of your toddler's little hand, but do limit the trips and find something else to "bribe" him with if you have to.
One solution to avoiding the trap of temptation at these fast food joints is to order each item separately. Imagine the employee trying to punch this one in: "Um, I'd like the big greasy burger that's been sitting there a few days, extra plastic cheese, of course, a large, greasy, salty fry, a supersize coke, make it diet, of course, and an extra plop of mayo. Does that come with complimentary nitroglycerin or can I purchase it next door on the gas station side? Oh, by the way, throw in some of those everlasting nuggets. I'm looking to self-destruct today." Do you think they'd ask me if I wanted a McFlurry with that? Probably! It's much easier to say you want the #4 because you don't have to own up to what you're eating. Try it some time.

So, I've knocked the most popular fast food joint today, but I have to say, they are adding some healthier choices to the menu, so we can be smart when we order too. However, when you walk in to order a salad, do you ever just look over at those fries under the lights and start to tremble? I guess I'd just better stay home and eat my own salad.

The point is to be a label-reader, stay informed as to what our government allows in our foods. It's scary. Do your own research because many sources will tell you opposing things!
14 year old petrified burgers and fries spoke to me visually, but there are many things hiding in our foods today that are just as bad. A choice for a healthy food item is a big NO to a chemical-laden, fat-filled, sugar-laced, preservative-soaked, hormone-injected, artificially flavored, nutritionally bankrupt one.

As Americans, we are pretty spoiled with food and too many choices. We give over our self-control to donuts and junk way too many times. I'm speaking to me here, but I know I'm not alone in this. I'm not the only fluffy girl I know who likes grease, salt, and sugar. I once heard a comedian talking about his gluten-free sister. She made him gluten-free bread one time. He was quite a large guy. He said, I don't know what gluten is, but it must be delicious! Yes, it's hard to make healthy choices if you're used to eating willy-nilly. I ought to know. Oreos and I used to be pretty tight. SO are my pants. Have a good day and don't let me depress you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...