Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life is Good, No Matter What Happens

For the millionth time this week, my dog, Sophie, has been a big stinker. Coming home after church on Sunday, I attempted to open the door, but something was pushed up against it. Oh, that can't be good, I thought. No, it wasn't. It was quite nasty. Our beloved Pooch had decided to explore the wastebasket....all over the kitchen floor. I would have blown a gasket normally, but the sight of her was too hysterical. She was so excited to see us, as usual, and ran out to the car to greet the rest of the family. As she ran past me, I noticed she had a large ziploc bag wrapped around her back foot, a sticky candy wrapper stuck to the inside of her leg, popcorn stuck in her ears, muzzle, and feet, yet she was happily wagging her tail and smiling at us.

That was Sunday afternoon. Later that night, as I made my way to the bathroom around midnight, I stepped in a fresh spot of pee Sophie had decided to make for me. Right in the bedroom. Right on the carpet. The carpet that was brand new in '05, just like the rest of the house. So, awake I was, cleaning up dog pee in the middle of the night. Muttering and mumbling while she made her way out to the kitchen for a DRINK! How dare she!

So, Tuesday after all my ridiculous runnings around, mishaps, and frustrations, plus a good ole headache, I came home to yet another wastebasket disaster. What is up with her?? Sometimes I get so angry I say absolutely nothing. If that happens, it's just not a good thing. I get scary quiet. You better just go the other way kind of quiet. So, I went to get the broom, completely frustrated with the dog. My helper, Serena, dropped her backpack, ran to get another trash bag and began to help me with the mess. She is a peacelover like me. Always trying to soften someone else's blow. It really calmed me down, and instead of throttling the dog, I gave Serena a hug and thanked her for helping me.

On Wednesday after dropping the girls off at church, we came home to a big puddle on the living room floor. Hardwood, thank Goodness, but still not cool at all. I sputtered and spit the whole time...she's ruining my house! I wailed.

Thursday morning. I caught Serena walking into the kitchen with a big rag, heading toward yet another Sophie creation....a lake on the kitchen floor. Good morning. There's your morning coffee. Hope you enjoy it, said the dog with a smile.

I announced to the family, yet again. THIS is why I say NO when you all beg me for puppies!! I can't take it anymore! Sophie is not sick, unless you count her mental stability, so her reason for all this mischief is boredom. She hates to be left alone, and has suffered from separation anxiety since the day we rescued her from medical research. I'm still glad we did that, by the way. Sophie has been the most gentle, docile, sweet, and loving dog I've ever had. You couldn't make her bite anyone if you tried. She was always so good with the girls when they were babies, and has brought us so much joy. She's comforting, loyal, and playful. She's getting old. Those are the reasons we'd never consider getting rid of her. Never!!

I am an animal lover, and I'll be perfectly frank with you. If you don't like animals, I usually don't like you! Especially if you don't like my dog. You may as well not come over. She was here first, dog or not. I don't trust people who don't like or respect animals. Generally Sophie loves everyone, but if she won't go to someone, I can bet I'll figure out later exactly why. She's a better judge of character than some people I know. While I value people more than animals, there are some animals who are much nicer to be around than some people! Come on, you know it's true!

The kind of unconditional love that animals give is why we frustrated owners will just put up with it. You can't reason with an animal. You can only train them. Sophie proved to be too excitable to train, although she is very smart. She knows a few tricks and the term "rawhide truck" sends her running for the door! We may have to get the kennel back out, or maybe the anti-anxiey meds again, but it's our job to care for her and give her the best life possible. We're not going to quit on her. She has given us way too many years of joy to let one week spoil it.

You can bet I won't be hearing "Mom, can we get a puppy?" for a long long time. Way to go, Sophie! See, she's working for my cause after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jami,
Do you leave a radio or the TV on when you're not home? Our aging pooch starting tearing through wooden gates when we would leave!! He would cry and howl too. He had never done that before. The vet told us that aging dogs tend to get really nervous when left alone and to leave noise (and a light after dark) on when we're not home. It worked. He's so mellow now that he's not at the door tail wagging and whining, he's stretching and looking at us like we just woke him up from a really good dream. Might be worth a try.
Charlotte

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...