Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fantastical Elliptical and Me: A Love Story

"Reunited and it feels so gooooood...." I guess you need to be an 80's lady like me to remember that old love song, but it was on my mind today as Fantastical Elliptical and I reunited once again! You see, I've ignored FE for too long, and he had to begin beckoning to me with song from the bowels of the basement. "Baby, come to me, get your feet back on the pedals, we were meant to be..." Yeah, he's a die hard romantic. I ran right for the gym shorts after that.

Sorry for all you newbies who think I've finally earned my wing at the loony bin. Most of you know that I refer to my elliptical as "Fantastical" because it speaks to me. I walk by, it says, "Hey, fatbutt, where've ya been?" And things like that. You get the picture.

So, we've had this special love-hate relationship, and I broke it off back in February when I decided that Valentine chocolates were worth giving up my work out. Twisted thinking, I know! Today was our "first date". I lovingly traced our initials in the dust of his computer readout board and placed my feet on the pedal things. I've missed you too, I managed to gasp out in exhilaration....or was that desperation?

Anyway, enough silliness (is there ever enough?). I flipped on the satellite radio stations on the tv and settled on the top 40 hits because they were upbeat and kept me going. I flipped back and forth between hits of the 70's and hits of the 80's, most of which I sadly know the words to! I decided that I did 15 minutes yesterday, I'll do 20 today....okay, I got to 20 and I was feelin' pretty good! I'll go to my age, I thought. Like a time out for a grown up! I got there, and decided I could push a little longer. Well, it didn't take long and I surpassed a normal menopause age! We should have done this reunion a long time ago! "Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong..." Go endorphins, Go! Okay, okay, I'll be good now....

Some of the obvious benefits of exercise (toned body, weight loss) don't come for awhile, but the less obvious ones are probably just as important! I felt positive today, self-confident, strong, and pumped up! The couch and the bon bons just can't give you that, my friends! I had a little extra spring in my step today, and my legs felt strong and capable. It was so worth the extra time I took today just to feel that way again! I am bone tired, but at least I didn't get it from too much chocolate for a change!

I really hope I can stick with it this time and not give up on myself again. If I have to hear my Fantastical Elliptical sing "Baby Got Back" one more time, I will scream! :) But seriously (I can do serious too), it's time to take charge of this thing and do what I need to do to get healthy again. I've made enough excuses, quit enough times, and allowed my flesh to rule way too much.

I am not obese, but I don't feel good at this weight. That's what is important to me. Not how you look, but how you feel. Physically, I am tired way too much. Part of that is a lack of exercise, so I can at least do something about it. It may not be easy, but doing the right thing is not always easy, is it?

There are a ton of reasons we have weight issues in this country, but we don't have to blame anyone else, really. In the same way, we shouldn't be beating ourselves up either. Start each day out with a new sense of purpose, knowing God's mercy is new every day. I did great today. I could blow it tomorrow. My plan is to simply not blow it tomorrow! That's as far as I'm getting with my "plan". I've had enough "plans" and they don't work.

What works is strapping on your running shoes and giving your body the workout it desires. We really are made to move!! or should I say, "Born to Run"? (sorry, music lover here!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gdfggdfgdf

Hannah said...

your posts always make me smile, laugh, and think...

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...