Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blessings:Spiritual Adrenaline

I want you to know that although I have a positive attitude most of the time, I often don't "feel" very positive at all. See, feeling something and having an attitude about it are 2 different things. I know having a good attitude is crucial to getting through anything. Having good "feelings" about something is not always dependable, of course, neither are not so good feelings.

I can tell you all about my blessings and how much I appreciate them, and sometimes it will spark the attitude shift that I need, but some days it just doesn't! Or, it does, but quickly takes a downturn. This is where the feelings start to wreck everything. This is why they are not dependable in making decisions at all! This is exactly why the joy of the Lord is our strength, not our feelings of happiness or satisfaction. This is all the more reason why we have to be diligent and watchful of things that can come in and try to steal our joy. The enemy uses things we'd never think of in order to turn our attention away from God. I don't know about you, but I don't appreciate being manipulated! I'm too stubborn for that! I love God too much for that too.

Emotions are wonderful when they're positive, but what if they're not? Relying on my emotions would only put me on a never ending roller coaster, and roller coasters make me sick. The highs are great, the lows are rotten, it becomes too predictable! We can't be slaves to feelings or we'll literally never be free. I have to take time out daily to get myself in balance and rely on God. This is the only way I can give up trying to control it all myself. It's a daily choice to count blessings, and it's also a daily choice to let God work in me. No matter how I feel that day. This is tough, my friends, and it takes practice sometimes. This seems to be a struggle many of us have in common, which is why I talk so much about blessings. We DO need to be mindful of what we're letting take precedence in our lives. Illness, sadness, dissatisfaction, lack of motivation, jealousy, money, envy, pride, etc...there are many many more!! And wouldn't the enemy love it if we gave in every day? That is not an option if you want to be victorious over anything.

Some of us have to work harder at keeping our emotions in check. Chemically, we're made up of a lot of different little connections firing all the time. So, we have our spiritual health, our physical health, and some emotional health in there too. It can feel like a battle is waging inside of us, and frankly, sometimes it is a struggle to maintain it all. Sometimes our bodies feel worn out, and it can lead to feeling spiritually sick too. I am the last one to "blame" anyone for their own sickness. Seriously, I have had my share of medical problems, and I don't appreciate hearing how it's my lack of spirituality. Tell that to the millions of innocent, sick kids who die every day of diseases. Disease is here because of the enemy. Here's the twist, at least for me. I cannot believe how many people I have been able to encourage and lead because of my debilitating headaches!! See, God can use my illness, although he didn't give it to me. It was my trial, the one I was told I'd go through. There are a lot of healed people, both Christian and non-Christians. It's an interesting topic for sure. The odd thing is, I feel closest to God when I'm sick. It's all about your attitude, not whether you claim your illness or not. How you perceive your situation can have everything to do with how you approach it. Approach it with a thankful, humble heart, and watch it turn around. Approach it with angst, frustration, and selfishness, and you'll be waiting a long time for victory. How do I know? I've done both and probably will again at some point!

But, that's where the blessings come in again. Like a balm to a wound or a breeze on an unbelievably hot day, they will calm the storm, get you back in the right direction, and keep your attitude facing up where it belongs.

I may be encouraging you, as some of you have told me, but let me tell you, I need encouragement daily, maybe more than you even know. Those blessings are my saving grace!! I am far from perfect, miles from "Miss Suzy Christian Sunshine", but WHO I know is far more than WHAT I know, and THAT is the ultimate BLESSING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...