Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Book Study: I Dare Me

The book study continues, and boy, has it been fun....and enlightening!

Me, Myself, and I have enjoyed reading "I Dare You", by Joyce Meyer. Many "light bulb" moments for sure. We're on Chapter 8, titled "Dream Big Dreams". I don't know about you, but I have big dreams, and until now, it has scared me silly. Silly enough to shrink back in doubt of myself. See why this book matters so much to me? I need to be "dared"!

After all, there is the risk of fear, rejection, and the dreaded "what ifs" that can drive you to quit. Well, my friends, no more of that! One thing "we" have discovered is that if we make purpose our journey, then passion needs to be the fuel! That doesn't mean the usual "emotional intensity" you usually relate to passion. Passion isn't really a feeling at all. It is direction, and a courageous attitude. It is doing something wholeheartedly, as Jesus did for his Father. He showed concern for the poor, compassion for the weak, and for those who were treated unfairly. He didn't need to stand up and shout and make a big fuss. He served passionately and with purpose. Remember, our purpose and God's purpose for us may be two entirely different things.
That is why knowing our true motivations for why we do what we do is so very important, don't you agree?

"A.W. Tozer said people crucified with Christ have three distinct marks: They are facing only one direction, they can never turn back, and they no longer have plans of their own." (chapter 1 quote) I repeat, NO plans of our own. Okay, I'm listening!

God's purpose for you may be entirely different than your idea. Really! Joyce made a great point in her book... "The world is filled with people who think they know what you should be doing with your life. But the bottom line is it is your life, and when you stand before God, he will not ask anyone else about your life but you."

Well, the "girls" and I will continue our study and keep you updated as to how we're doing. It has been a time "we" look forward to...coffee, muffins, scriptures being found, and truths being revealed. I'm quite sure I will know me better after this. I'm even more sure that "we" will get to know God even better after this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...