Thursday, May 14, 2009

Keep Yourself Stirred Up!

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10
Every now and then when it rains, we go out and unplug the ditch tubes so the water will flow again. While Steve was in Philly a couple weeks ago, we had quite a huge pond forming in the backyard. I was tempted a couple of times to go out there and run through it, but I thought better of it and baked cookies instead. That "pond" stayed there for a couple days before I decided I'd better take care of it so Steve wouldn't have to when he got home.
I hiked out there wearing my big ole country girl outfit, giant coat, giant boots, and a giant rake. Ew..now that's just gross, wet leaves and slime, not to mention mud! That's Serena's territory, not mine! So, I stirred up the water a little to see where the problem was, and it started bubbling and gurgling like a pot of boiling water. That sound just made the whole job even more disgusting if you ask me. I have a wild imagination, and I was thinking septic tank the whole time. Do you know that wet burned sticks look just like snakes? Well, they do. Trust me. I learn so much from these adventures of mine. Do you also know that if you scream in the country and no one is there to hear you, that no one will hear you? That is such a good thing. I know, you just had to read that twice, didn't you?
Anyway, I got to thinking of what would have happened had I not stirred the water. It would have just sat there getting stinky and stagnant, breeding skeeters by the millions. Which would later use me as a buffet. What happens with stagnant water? Surely nothing good. A stinking breeding ground of waste that no one wants to be around.
What happens when people become stagnant? Trouble, boredom, sin, temptation, idleness, critical, annoyed, joyless, etc... Not someone you want to become or anyone you want to spend time with.
Keep yourself "stirred up". Get God's Word working in you and through you and stay productive and fruitful. Don't fester on a problem or feel you can't get out of the mud. I like to use Psalm 51:10 as a quick prayer when it seems I am losing ground or feeling stagnant. Getting a daily renewal from God will surely keep us on the right track and out of the ditch!!
Be blessed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...