Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cracked Pepper and other Seasonings

It seems posting hasn't been much of a priority lately. It's hard to make the time to put my thoughts in my head, let alone in my blog! I truly don't know how people can Facebook and tweet so regularly. I sometimes just don't have that much to say! Nor would anyone be interested in what room I'm in and what color my socks are. I have to admit that there are 2 bigger reasons I'm staying off my computer. One is that our main computer crashed a few weeks ago, and I am forced to type on my laptop. The other is that I can't stand typing on a laptop! It is constantly erasing things I just typed and I can't retrieve them!! Like this post, I already lost it twice and had to start over. Staying connected is another challenge. Our dial up is so slow I can't believe it, and whenever my phone rings, my computer disconnects. I can't figure out how to fix it because I'm a dinosaur without a 5 year old in my house. Anyway....

We had a very fun-filled 4th of July holiday up at the lake. G & G rented kayaks for the girls and they enjoyed paddling around the lake on a hot sunny day. We also attended the local parade, fireworks, and spent 2 days at the beach in town. The lake there has public access and an ice cream shop across the street.

Our neighbors across the lake were a bit quieter except for the guy singing opera. I thought it was pretty funny, so I grabbed Natalie's guitar and played "Smoke on the Water". Then I broke into my rendition of Hee Haw's "I'm a pickin and I'm a grinnin'" complete with all the "Hee Haw" touches. I just love to bust loose. It's great because when it's dark out there at the campfire, you can do whatever you want and no one can see you!

On the more negative side, I struggled with my hip over the holiday, but didn't have headaches. I brought those home with me, and have had at least 3 since we got home. Including the one I had yesterday when we went to the movie theater to see Toy Story 3. I had just had enough of my body telling me what to do, so I spited it and went anyway. Then I came home and went to bed. My therapy is going better. She's doing some different things to alleviate the pain, and I'm forced to face my lack of muscle tone. It's just not there! I can't blame it on my kids, but I started letting myself go when their lives became more important than mine. I don't care so much about being overweight, but now it's affecting my health. I have a lot of work to do.

I have become much more aware of those who are suffering daily with physical struggles. There is a light at the end of my tunnel, at least where the hip is concerned. I can't say much about my migraines, but I've learned to live with them. Having body pain is a whole different experience. I do wonder what God wants me to do with this experience of mine. I guess I talk about it because there really is a lot of mental "stuff" that goes with your physical stuff. Though you don't want to complain and carry on, talking about it may help someone else deal with it! It can tear up your mind. It can affect your relationships. It can really affect your confidence, as it has mine.

My focus lately has been looking at Philippians, and learning to focus on others instead of myself. As altruistic as that sounds, it doesn't come naturally! I wish it did for me. I think when you're chronically ill, as I have been most of my adult life, you tend to focus on yourself more. Your world becomes a bit small. I'm being very general and I'm trying to get this out before my laptop "erases" me again, but be watching for me to develop this thought a bit more, because I think it's pretty significant, not just to me, but to anyone.

Hope you are enjoying your summer! I'm doing my best to enjoy mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...