Thursday, August 5, 2010

Insomnia A-Z

I have trouble sleeping sometimes...I guess you could call me an insomniac. It runs in my family. My dad and I are often comparing our nighttime notes...."hey, were you up at 3:30 too? Shoulda called ya..." I really don't like being awake in the middle of the night. All sorts of crazy things run through my head. Little house settling sounds can really sound like heavy breathing axe murderers in the kitchen...yikes. Sometimes situations seem more bleak in the dark of the night, causing more worry than is truly necessary. I also tend to peruse the cabinets in search of all foods fattening. Like one night, for example. I couldn't sleep, so I went into the living room, turned on the tv and chose one of my recordings to watch. It wasn't long before the weird sounds from the kitchen began. Sounds beckoning. Whispering. Begging even!! It went a little like this...."o r e o.....oreo..oreo....OREO!!"

Well, you know me. I had to rescue those poor oreos from that dark pantry cabinet! Before I knew it, I put away 6 (or probably 7) of those yummy buggers. I watched some mindless TV and finally gave in and went back to try to sleep. An hour or two later, the Cheez-Its were calling. Here we go again....

It took me some thinking, but I finally came up with some new things to help me sleep. I'm not in to the counting sheep business. First of all, all I would be thinking about is where all those sheep are pooping and whether any of them were wild and rabid. My imagination is just too crazy for that sheep business. SO, I came up with some clever alphabets instead.

I have the Classic TV alphabet, in which I have to come up with a classic TV show for every letter...A: Adam 12, Alf, A-Team, Alice....you get the idea. I fall asleep somewhere between "Hotel" and "I Love Lucy". I also have my God Alphabet..."A-Almighty, Amazing, All-knowing....B:Big, Beautiful, Blessing, etc... I have the Mary Tyler Moore Episode Alphabet, Northern Exposure (I'm a huge fan of Alaska), the Office Supply Alphabet, and of course, Male and Female First Name Alphabets. I've done foods, odd words, songs, music groups, whatever my wandering mind can find. One night I came up with words that ended in "tion". Don't laugh. You know me well enough that you're reading my blog. You're probably just as weird, sister. (or brother)

I have to say it's the best cure I've found so far for this night-fearing insomniac. And now you have a source for any useless information you may need! And just so you know (in case you didn't already), healthy foods taste like crap in the middle of the night. That one was free, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...