Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Nothing But Net Around Here

It's a whole lotta double dribbling around here, as both girls are playing basketball this year! Serena plays on Saturdays at various schools, and Natalie plays for the 7th grade team on Mondays and Wednesdays. In between the "mom shuttle" runs kids to and from practice. Some aren't even my own! I'm always washing uniforms, practice clothes, and socks, or packing snacks, making quick dinners, and helping with ponytails! Thankfully it's a short season and then we're done with sports for awhile.

Serena stands almost a foot taller than her 5th grade counterparts, and that puts her at quite an advantage. Or so we thought! Some of the girls from the other schools are not only as tall, but they also outweigh her by at least 40-50 pounds! Suddenly being tall is a not always an advantage, but a challenge as well! Serena got pushed around pretty good during the games on Saturday by a girl we nicknamed "Gorgonzola", for no reason at all but that we didn't know her name. We love cheese around here. Anyway, the G really got tough with Serena and I could see Serena not only holding her back, but really making her mad! When I had a chance to talk to Serena, she said, "she's grunting at me, mom!" That was just too funny! We call Serena "bruiser" around here, and it's a good thing she has attitude when she needs it. It will surely help her athletically!

Natalie and her team won their first game last night! It was certainly amazing to watch the coach play all 12 or 13 girls, giving everyone a chance to play! It is really fun to see how far the girls have come. I've been watching them since preschool!

The party I mentioned in a previous post about friendship was also to be on Saturday. Well, I ended up having a blast sitting in the stands with all the other parents, laughing and cheering our kids on together! Maybe it turned out for the best after all. I didn't even think about missing that party until a few days later.

Well, I'm off to find the basketball socks that need to be washed for tomorrow night's away game! My life is so exciting, isn't it??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...