Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ordinary Life

Today was a wonderfully ordinary day. The girls went with Grammy for an afternoon of shopping, lunch, and a movie. I was invited, but declined. As a girl, I had always wanted a special "just me and Grandma" relationship, but it didn't happen. So, I encourage my mom to take time to just hang out with the girls, without their mom hanging around, dominating the conversation! My mom was a working mom, so this stuff doesn't come easy for her. I'm glad she knows how important it is to be there for the girls in this way.

I spent a few hours with a dear friend today, having a coffee and a coke break. Maybe I should just call it a caffeinated visit! We've wanted to get together for a long time. I'm so glad that we finally did. We always have a lot to talk about, and today was no exception. Thanks, buddy, for a nice talk!

I enjoyed the drive, turning up the music nice and loud, and passing all the slow cars. See, I had the "coolmobile" today, NOT the mom-van! I was rockin' the dad car. I was cool! Maybe it was the fact that the heat in the dad car doesn't work! Either way....

I didn't get much done today, as I came home to a demanding doggie, who doesn't like to be left alone for very long. I spent the rest of the afternoon keeping her happy, and watching a little TV. Steve brought a pizza home for us, and we hung out, munching pizza, talking about our crazy pooch.

The girls got home a little early, and excitedly showed us their fabulous purchases, and bubbled about their trip with Grammy.

What magic there is in an ordinary day! It may be a humdrum life to someone else, but to me, this is magic. It's being able to relax, be in the moment, appreciate little joys, and not expect too much.

It is receiving texts from my girls as they were shopping today, because they couldn't wait to show me their purchases! It is receiving a slurpy kiss from my 15 year old dog, who is on her last legs, but still greets me with a little wag now and then. It is watching Steve walk through the door with a pizza, knowing he's home for the rest of the night. And it's looking out into the yard, seeing the big snow-trodden tracks of my silly family, running around in circles in the yard. It's a visit with a friend, silly texts from Patty, and last of all, sunshine!!

It's life, as I know it, life as I see it, and life as I enjoy it!

It was an ordinary day, and I loved every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...