Monday, March 7, 2011

PG-13

Natalie hit the big thirteen last month, and while I expected something monumental to happen that day, nothing did! She's still the same kid, even though she's made that scary transition into teenland.

We've had a couple new discussions on popular topics, all of which have ended well. She asked me if she could watch PG-13 movies, and I told her it had nothing to do with age! It has everything to do with content! So, until she's 18, I'm still reviewing any movies she wants to see. I'm the ratings maker, not society. She should know that by now, but I suppose she was testing a bit. That's okay. I've been reading up on her and watching Dr. Phil. I'm good.

I finally allowed her to go on Facebook too. She knew that I wouldn't allow her to "lie", as some of her classmates advised her to do, in order to get a page before age 13. Well, in our house, we tell the truth, so she already knew to wait until 13 to ask me again. I told her it was fine, but I have the password, and I get to check out her page whenever I feel the need. So far she just enjoys posting funny jokes and crazy sayings. (I still don't care to go on it. It just doesn't do anything for me. I do loving reading blogs though!)

I've decided that thirteen's not so bad yet. Yet. Hmm...other people tell me their daughters became monsters. Well, Nat's never been a "monster", so I just can't see it happening. She's pretty good-natured. It takes a lot to rattle her cage, and she's busy doing lots of things, so she doesn't have time to dwell on anything! I hope it stays that way!

PG-13 at our house stands for "Pretty Great 13" so far. Now, remember, I have an 11 year old coming up the ranks too. She's a pretty great kid too, but unfortunately is a bit more like her mom...oh, paybacks paybacks!

There are so many issues with preteen girls these days, so many things that I never had to go through. It makes me feel a bit ill-equipped to handle them. So what's a mom to do? PRAY. It's really the best parenting advice I've found so far!

1 comment:

Brenda Susan said...

:) Do you think that maybe God gives us teenagers so we will pray more? Ha!
Thank you so much for your super encouraging comment today! It means a lot and blessed me beautifully.
Enjoy the 13 yr old girliness!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...