Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Super Forte

I love love love music! As a kid, I relied on music for entertainment for long days of mom being at work. I listened to nearly every album (go ahead and giggle), eight track tape (guffaw if you must), and cassette (tee hee) we ever owned. I grew up listening to whatever my rock-guitar- playing brother would play, whatever my David Cassidy-loving sister dragged home, whatever my eclectic parents listened to, and should I mention my other brother's Barry Manilow phase? Probably not. I made friends with those who sang, played, or listened to large varieties of music, including the band director's daughter. I came home with more album samples than I could carry from our band director, and I still have them all! My best guy friend back in school, Ben, would send me home with countless CDs to try out. He always had the latest greatest in stereo equipment, which of course led to his stint as a DJ with another friend of ours. He would loan me anything from The Doors to Enigma to Vivaldi! Weird, I know, but I gathered a respect for music as an art form, not just one genre, not just one set of artists. I continue to be amazed by anyone who can create beautiful music. Anyone!

This brings me to some exciting news! Serena had the opportunity this week to sign up for band, and we weren't sure if she really had a strong interest. After all, our girls tend to choose activities that are in direct opposition to each other, and Natalie is very musically talented. Serena tends to get annoyed with Nat's constant singing, piano playing, guitar playing, sax playing, and now drum playing! However, today while speaking with the representative, she really got a twinkle in her eye. I watched her as she fell in love with the idea of playing her own music. Being a part of a band. Being led by one of our favorite teachers, Mr. Burkhart! As she chose her instrument and tried it out, the lights came on and I watched the latest musician in our home come to life! As we walked out to the car and placed her instrument in the trunk, she was visibly excited, giggly, and full of energy. I was quite surprised by her enthusiasm, as I hadn't seen it all week! (i'm purposely not telling you what her instrument is for now)

As we rounded the corner to our house, Serena let out a whoop and a wiggle and yelled, "I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE A SAXOPHONE IN THE TRUNK OF OUR CAR!! A SAXOPHONE!! MY OWN SAXOPHONE!! I AM SO EXCITED!!" Now I'm busting out laughing while trying to make my way down the road to the driveway. I don't get this much excitement out of this usually tentative, indecisive child!! I was pumped! So, we parked in the garage, and she ran into the house after her sister. "MOM! MOM! POP THE TRUNK!!" She ran in and grabbed sissy while I waited to witness the big surprise. (Nat and the rest of us were expecting a trumpet or drumsticks!!) Natalie was pretty surprised, indeed, that her sister would pick a saxophone (tenor in this case) just like herself! I didn't tell her that it was easier to play because of her newly- metaled mouth, but that was only part of it anyway. If I was being poetic, as I often am, I would say that her choice in instrument was a desire to harmonize with her sister on a whole new level!

And so the neighborhood is alive with the sounds of music and I am in heaven. I'm Julie Andrews, running across the lawn in my bare feet as my kids practice their saxophones.....or maybe I'm running from the noise....can't remember which sometimes!

Ah, no. I do love music. It keeps me alive, happy, healthy, joyful, full of spirit and possibility. Whether it's a ballad, a rock tune, a jazzy bit, or the praise and worship team at church, I am always moved and inspired by music. I am in awe of those who create it. And if you come to my house, expect to bring it! Our piano is to be played, our campfire always needs guitars and voices (Sep and Allison just came to mind!!), and oh, those saxophones...how the sound carries out here!!

Enjoy your music, whatever it is, and if you can't already tell, I am a HUGE proponent of getting kids involved in learning to sing, play, or whatever. From the headphones on a pregnant belly to the band room, whatever it takes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...