Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Splendor in the Grass

Yesterday after school Natalie took Angel for a walk in the woods around our yard. I stepped outside for something and heard Natalie singing. It was a good distance off, so I couldn't quite make out what she was singing. It was a sweet sweet sound, along with the birds and even the buzzing of the bees. I decided to pull up a lawn chair and wait for them to come out of the woods. It was then that I heard her song. I smiled. She came closer, Angel pulling on the leash to make her way over to me, and I was just about to tell her how much I enjoyed her singing when she said, "Mom, did you hear me singing?" Yes, I answered, Our God, by Chris Tomlin is one of my favorites! She replied, "I just felt so good out here! It's so pretty out, the air feels so good, and did you smell that awesome smell out there? What is that? I couldn't find anything that would smell that good. I just felt God's creation out here and I felt like singing." Now that just warms a mom's heart, let me tell you! It's another reminder that no matter what is going on in our lives, we know God exists! We know by His creation that He wants us to feel comforted and mesmerized by the beauty around us. It's poetic and sappy, yes, but it's real! Nat went into the house and grabbed her dad's guitar and quickly ran back out to where I sat in the grass. She began strumming "Our God" and singing a little, and then just started playing little bits of all kinds of songs when she forgot the rest. By then we had decided to tie Angel up next to us, and she snuggled down in the grass as Natalie played. I must say I did a little snuggling myself, as I relished in this time with my daughter in our favorite place---outside. Dinner plans were put on hold. Soon Serena heard the music and made her way outside with Natalie's big music binder. She plopped down in the grass in front of Nat and held the book open for her as Nat made her choices. They decided on "Paradise" by Coldplay, one of my favorites too. They began trying to find their key, and I laughed as they unsuccessfully tried one too high and one too low! I tried to help them out a bit and finally they began the song. Nat decided to make some silly "guitar faces" as she played, and so instead of singing, we were all cracking up! Angel, sweet thing that she is, kept sleeping in the grass beside all this hoopla. Suddenly Nat began to sing a song she sings particularly well, and instead of harmonizing with her, Serena just watched Natalie play and sing, all the while holding the book open for her and turning the pages quietly. I wish I could describe the look on Serena's face, but all I can think of is "admiration". If a look could describe how Serena feels about her sister, that would be it. I know sisters fight and not every day is perfect, but I see a real love and respect between my daughters that makes my heart swell with love for them. They will never be alone in this world as long as they have each other. I took a few pictures of our fun time under the maple tree, but the one that depicted it best was the picture of Angel, sleeping in the grass while we all sat nearby. She was content, pleased, comfortable, safe, and relaxed. Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...