Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday Thoughts

With all the media circus surrounding Miley Cyrus's performance at the VMA's, it has opened up a lot of related discussions. Today I talked with someone who, I have to be honest, is not someone I would call my friend. She was quick to point out and criticize a young lady who is apparently foul-mouthed, disrespectful toward adults, gets poor grades, whose mother is very young, whose father is out of the picture, and dresses provocatively to boot. I looked at this person, clearly powered by her own judgements of this young lady. I said the only thing I could think of that moment, "that is so sad." And my thoughts turned to her instead...who do you think you are? A grown woman judging this young lady who has had no choice in the circumstances of her life?  You, who grew up with "normal" loving parents. You, who had everything you needed and more. What do you know, and why do you care more about what you think than what this child obviously has to bear?  And by the way, even with all the blessings our own children have, they too are not perfect!

I often think to myself, if that same kid grew up with me or any other parent with knowledge, ability, a good example behind them, just think who they would be!!  Maybe someone would have cuddled up and read books to her. Squirted her with water in the tub until you both dissolved into giggles. Told her she was worthy. Took her to church. Told her about God. Took her to the library when she had a curiosity about owls. Signed her up for tee ball and practiced in the yard til dark. Kept the bad people away. Didn't blow smoke in her face. Kept her bills paid so she had a place to sleep. Made sure she valued things like faith, friends, family, love, pets, books, and herself. Provided her with safety, security, cleanliness, role models, education, and peace in her surroundings. You want to know why she lacks confidence? Why she doesn't try very hard? Why she doesn't "act right"? Where would she have learned anything better? The world is going to be a cruel teacher for sure. The "cool" kids will all ice her out. The bad boys will use her. The other parents will shun in protection of their own. And she will continue on a path of destruction because it's all she knows.  And she doesn't know her worth. Because no one ever tells her.

And it's adults like the one I came in contact with that really make my head spin. You should know better. You should teach your own kids better. You should try to make a difference. You should pray for her. You should be quiet if you have nothing positive to say. And no matter what this girl does or the trouble she may get herself into, she will be looking for someone to intervene along the way. One day when she's an adult, she'll wonder why no one did.

and these are my thoughts for today.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...