Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Middle

What do you think about pampering? This is the important life-changing question on my mind today! So although I consider myself to be feminine and enjoy keeping myself looking my best, I am not a fussy pants kind of girl. I'm far from the qualifications of calling myself "girl", but it makes me feel young, so don't correct me! (44 and proud)
I've had exactly one manicure my whole life. It was one week before my wedding, almost 20 years ago. I've had 2 massages, both scheduled by my dear hubby, who wanted to surprise me. He's the one who got the surprise--I don't like massages. Oh, I love actual massages, just not by people I don't know! I know, it's so weird!! Never had a pedicure and probably never will. I don't enjoy shopping for clothes like a lot of women. I have never taken a "selfie". I don't enjoy Tupperware parties or any other purse, jewelry, or other girly party. You would never know it by looking at me, and that's the way I like it. If this describes you, no worries! I have girly friends and I love them just the way they are-long nails and all! 
So I'm not a "girly girl", but I can look like one. I love the outdoors, but I scream at the sight of snakes and big spiders! I can look that part too, especially after a day of tree trimming or landscaping. I love dirt! I have friends who hunt for all kinds of animals, even bears! Me? I rescue and feed them, talk to them, and enjoy watching them. I wouldn't shoot a gun because I neither want nor need to. I don't wear my bathing suit in public or mixed company. I'm very modest. I am more comfortable in my running capris and my hubby's Detroit lions sweatshirt! While ladies like to "lunch", I love picnics and loathe snooty things! I'm not a prude, but when certain discussions begin with women, I find the nearest exit. Then I laugh all the way to the car. 

I guess I'm just like my mom after all. Mom was a hard worker, always looking put together, but was never caught up in herself. We spent hours gardening together instead of shopping and manicures. Oh, we shopped, but it was always for me, never for herself. She rarely did her nails, preferring to keep her gardening hands ready for dirt. I admire that then and I do now. She is real. 

But I'm a happy middle. Having two teen daughters requires some sort of girly-ness. For them I have one toe in and one toe out where girly stuff is concerned.  We will probably never do a spa day, but we will have a blast clearing trees AND  trying on shoes, right? Yeah, we can do happy middle. I'm working on that for their sake. 

Sorry for the "shallow" post today. It all came about when Natalie was invited to the "pampering" day at her church. She wrinkled up her nose and said "spa day" as if someone opened a big bag of stink. She said, " why would I want to do THAT? I would rather do a hundred other things!" I just smiled and said, "You are your mother's daughter." Then we sat and talked about music and what we want to do in the music room. We laughed over something someone said at school. We talked about eyebrows. She enjoys burping loudly-like Ryan. I don't enjoy that so I scold her a bit. We laugh again. Just girls-having fun together. We don't need no stinkin spa! :) 

Yeah, I can do "middle"! And maybe it's okay that I'm not a girly spa mom. I'm just who I am! Isn't that better than faking it? We don't need a "girl's day". We could do a day at Dave & Buster's (big arcade) followed by a bacon burger, and we are golden. Just girls, enjoying our favorite things-together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...