Monday, October 12, 2015

Anniversary

Steve and I celebrated our 21st anniversary last Thursday. The celebration began first at home with a delicious dinner prepared by Steve (his request), then followed by a train trip on Friday. 
I have loved trains since I grew up one block from the train tracks, and have always wanted to ride on a train. I often fall asleep trying to remember that sound of the train whistle that lulled me to sleep as a child or comforted me when I was sick in the night. The gentle rattle of the windows letting me imagine where the train was going and waiting to hear that long whistle that let me know it was leaving town. 
This train was pretty old, with water damaged wooden walls and floors, old windows, and original seats. We could have chosen to ride in an open car, but I wanted the true train experience of riding inside. Although it was billed as a "color tour", we really didn't see much color. You really do get what you pay for. But the most exciting thing was hearing that whistle when the train left town!! 
However disappointing the view, we enjoyed each other's company to the fullest, and we giggled inside at the couples in their 60's in front and behind us. They were busy taking "selfies", trying to catch a good picture of themselves in a kiss so they could post themselves "smoochy-pooing" on facebook. Oh, that "Marty" and his silly eye that kept looking at the camera and ruining the picture...hahaha...and the picture taking would start all over...kissing sounds and all. I can only hope that in another 20 years Steve and I are still that much in love. Although, we are a bit more private and reserved. They probably thought we were such a boring younger couple!! Just sitting between them talking quietly...:)

One view out my window. We went over a lake, which entirely made me nervous. I didn't like that at all! 
We made a stop in a nearby town for a cider and donut snack. We rode in the orange car. On the way back, the train just reversed, so we switched out seat direction, and Marty and his wife sat behind us again. You guessed it...smoochy poo!! :) they were so cute. 
The trip wasn't perfect, of course. It took us awhile to find a place to eat, as we had never visited the area before, but we had the best pizza we had ever eaten. When we got to the hotel, it was pretty disappointing. It wasn't very clean. Again, you get what you pay for. But the traveling caught up to me and I got a migraine, so instead of exploring the town, I went to sleep. Yep. That's a normal thing for me and Steve, unfortunately. 
But the next day we went to an orchard and picked fresh apples, found a great place and had lunch, and made our way home. 
And after 21 years of marriage, he still likes to hold my hand in the car. Priceless. :)





2 comments:

sirnorm1 said...

Congratulations kids:) May God's face shine on both of your lives.

Angela said...

Happy Anniversary Jami! You certainly have a great husband to think about something you've always wanted to do and make the dream happen. I love your description of Marty and his girl! May God bless you both richly.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...