Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Just To Be Alive

 It is a serious thing 

just to be alive

on this fresh morning

in this broken world. 

Mary Oliver 


Good morning! It's a beautiful day here in the freezing mitten. The sun keeps peeking out and streaking across my living room rug where my sweet Angel is sleeping. The air is calm, and I am comforted by the soft waves lapping on the pebbled shore, and the occasional sound of the red-winged blackbird. Well, it's the sound of the Mount Rushmore DISHscape channel on my TV, but a girl can dream. I look over now and then, and my little shrimp are swimming among a few shy snails that peek out from their hiding spots among the stones. That part is really happening, as Jesse gifted me with a jar of saltwater shrimp and snails.  

I find myself with those approaching end-of-winter blah feelings lately. Can spring just hurry up and get here? I'm irritated by things that I usually ignore, and side-eyeing my teammates like they could be the enemy. I'm feeling like packing a bag and calling an Uber to take me someplace warm and just leave me there. In other words, I'm kind of strung out, flung out, and cabin-fevered out. Are you feeling it too? Oh, friends, I don't want to feel this way! Life is too precious to waste it on negative energy! 

The miracle of gratitude is that it shifts your perception to such an extent that it changes the world you see. 

Dr. Robert Holden

 God gives each person a plan for their own life. It won't be the same directions or work the same for everyone, but the desired outcome will always be for us to live a life of gratitude, blessings, and a life that reflects Him. If I ask myself, "Hey, did your side-eyeing, criticizing, complaining, irritability, and all those other self-involved qualities reflect a life of gratitude and a passion for God?" or  "How's that workin' for ya, grumpy pants?" The answer to both questions is "Nope-ity nope." Time to get myself pulled up by my own bootstraps, as someone's grandpa once said somewhere. I never had a grandpa to whip me into shape, but he'd say that, I'm sure. 

It's up to me to wake up every day and say, "What can I do to be grateful today? What can I do to help someone know God better?  What am I doing that is putting myself in a rut? What kind of an example am I? Are people better after they leave me, or do they wish I'd called that Uber and gone to a deserted island with a "Wilson" volleyball?" We have a personal responsibility to not let our attitudes, feelings, circumstances and emotions determine our moods every day.  We are not to compare our joys or our sorrows with those of another, but for me personally, there are so many troubles that I am grateful I don't have, and I feel sorry for the sufferings that others have to go through. The fact that I get another day to start over and get a fresh start is more than many people will get today. To spend it complaining about anything seems pretty shameful in comparison to what some others may be going through right now. Today I am thankful for simple petty irritations, cold weather, and cabin fever. Yeah, I have big stuff too, but God is getting me through those things too. There are good things in all of my circumstances. They are my hidden blessings, and I will use them to remind me that I have it pretty good here, no matter what.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

It's a beautiful day here in the mitten, and it's true that we are getting another big snow storm in less than 24 hours. But it is winter, and our storms are pretty mild, so who am I to blather on about the realities of living in a place where the snakes aren't much bigger than my pencil? It's why we live here and not someplace warm! I can handle a little cold and a little time to be cooped up, reading my books and learning, playing John's mom on Words with Friends, or organizing my dresser drawers while catching up on old movies. I am grateful to have been given another day to be alive. That in itself is a miracle! I can spend my time complaining and being negative, or as my southern peaches say, "borrowing trouble," or I can live this one day for what it is and what it holds, and just be grateful. 

It will be snowing soon, so I will be heading out to make sure I have the preparatory bread, milk, eggs, gummy bears, and generator gas. What a wonderful blessing it is to be able to go and get the things we need. I am still in awe and wonder when watching a storm come in, from the warmth and safety of my cozy home. Enjoy your day and your miraculous life, wherever you may be. Be blessed and know that when you are grateful, it changes the world you see. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for you, and for your posts that always warm me up inside like a roaring fire in the fireplace.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...