Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Don't Worry, Be Healed

 Search me, O God, and know my heart; 

test me and know my anxious thoughts. 

See if there is any offensive way in me, 

and lead me in the way everlasting. 

Psalm 139: 23-24 


I love a day when I don't worry about a thing. I also like it when things go my way. I don't know about you, but I want to be the clipboard-carrying president of the "Don't Worry, Be Happy Club." The problem is, at the head of this so-called happy and worry-free club is actually a recovering worrywart control freak. Some days I'm doing more worrying, and not coincidentally, those are the not-so-happy days. It's not a surprise, because at the heart of a worrier is a deep need to be (ahem, feel) in control. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. When we are feeling out of control, we tend to worry. It's a vicious cycle, and somewhere in the chaos, stopping to pray is lost. When we are always trying to gain control of something or someone, or always waiting for the next shoe to drop, we are spinning on the anxious cycle. My friend and mentor has repeated the same solution to me so many times that I know this is an area of struggle for me that I have yet to conquer. Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well. Oh, I know what I'm doing wrong. OH, I know the answer too. I'm just not applying it. Ding ding ding!! 

It's not like I'm the "asking for the manager" type, or having a need to control others. There are just some situations in life I cannot control that throw me off balance, and I think I have determined that I am that type of control freak. We who are trying to control, are always seeking, pursuing, or protecting peace, but are somehow managing to lose it in the process. Okay, so I may have caught myself giving God suggestions while praying. Yes, this is how God brought this issue to my attention. God doesn't need my help, I know this. But fear was driving me to worry about the outcome. This is how we start to spin out. This is because we are trying to manage everything in our own strength, and it is a losing battle. Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. When we remember to invite God into our fears, anxious thoughts, and every situation, we will no longer have the need to control everything. God is the president of the Don't Worry, Be Healed Club, and we are the members if we show up. Do I want to get healed or not? THIS is the question. 

 I wanted to know I wasn't alone in this club, so I went in search of fellow members in the Bible, and there were controlling worrywarts in there too! People who got ahead of God because they could not wait for His blessing, they were fearful of His outcome, or thought they could make it happen faster themselves. In other words, other prideful, insecure, and fearful people who thought their ideas were better than God's. God told us not to worry, and more importantly, we aren't meant for it. Matthew 6:34 Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Every day has enough trouble of its own. So, I'm glad I'm not alone, but that was an embarrassing find. 

In a world where we are told we can get everything faster–internet, food service, delivery, weight loss, hair growth, homes, cars, traffic signals, checkouts, and anything under the sun, suddenly we start to fret when we have to wait for something that is actually taking a reasonable amount of time. Maybe some people are all turning into impatient control freaks, because their expectations just keep getting harder and harder to meet. Proverbs 16:1-2 To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue. All a man's ways seem right to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD. I'm on the opposite side here. While I may enjoy some of these fast services, I'm often wanting the world to slow down (except for my wi-fi) and go a nice slow and easy pace so I can take my time and enjoy it. I seem to just want some kind of time control and I can't get ahold of it. Isaiah 43:18 "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.

 My heart tells me not to worry and fret and be tempted to take things into my own hands.  1Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. But contrary to my heart, my brain will often stray into this arena. We are humans with real emotions and struggles, faith-filled people or not. But when we invite God into our areas of struggle, He is there. This is where we will receive the peace that surpasses all understanding. Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Just like anything that requires correction in our behavior, it's not always an overnight success. We all have mountains to climb, and valleys to wander. It's part of life, and there are lessons to learn in both places. Remembering to give my day to the Lord is key. Psalm 143:8-9 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD, for I hide myself in you. 

I will not say that letting go of my worries is easy, but when I allow God to have my worries, I feel at ease. I have a choice to make there, don't I? Many struggle with the concept of trusting an unseen God on a good day, let alone during times of distress. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. In essence, He's wanting me to do a trust fall exercise when I'm paralyzed with the unknown. True faith in God is just that–a spontaneous trust fall at any moment. Psalm 145:18 The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will be as close to me as I invite Him in.

 A relationship with God is a personal choice for that reason. That is a part that I can depend on fully, but only when I surrender everything. Isn't this how all relationships thrive? This is the most important one. He wants me to be close to Him, experiencing His peace, fulfilling my purpose, living abundantly in love, joy, kindness, and all the good stuff. He wants me to enjoy the blessings He is giving me every day, and not be distracted by my own stumbling blocks. Yes, it is scary to live in a world where everything is going faster than I can think. Years are flying by like days, and time can sure feel like it is slipping away. This is part of the spin cycle. But can my world spin while I stand still? God assures me that I can. Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God. Those are my choices to make. Continuing to pursue God and His Word is the solution to turning my need for control into His peace, even if there is no peace in my situations or in the world just yet. 

How does fear propel us into trying to control everything? How do we find ourselves in a state of panic even over trivial things? John 10:10 The thief comes to only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. There will be times that our weak spots will be used against us by the enemy, and to attempt to separate us from God. To make us think we are powerful on our own and without Him. When we crowd out God's authority, failing to humble ourselves, we will become arrogant, stop growing, and lose favor with God. Isaiah 66:2 These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word. When we allow ourselves to get too caught up not only in the controls of our own wheels, but trusting others to take a position of control that is saved only for the sovereignty of God, we are headed for trouble. The world is full of dictators and people fighting for power to control. How easy they and sometimes we can forget that it is God who is in control of it all. Psalm 99:1 The Lord reigns, let the nations tremble; he sits enthroned between the cherubim, let the earth shake. When we find ourselves dealing with a problem of control, it rarely stays within our range. Our fear, insecurity, and pride can affect everyone around us. Our impulsive decisions, flippant words, rash choices, all of it. Fear of not being in control can make a person seem, well... out of control. I'd rather be shaken by the Lord than by a person out of control. 

A person who trusts and stands with the Lord even while the world is raging will become someone we will be able to trust, and we need each other's steadfast faith. Our witness will be affected by how we handle chaos. Psalm 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.  Some of the things going on in this world are beyond my comprehension and control, but we can be assured that God is aware of it all! He is not surprised by us or what is happening around us. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 

 "Look at the nations and watch–and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told. 

Habakkuk 1:5 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great truth. "When we remember to invite God into our fears, anxious thoughts, and every situation, we will no longer have the need to control everything."
Thank you, Miss Jami

Anonymous said...

Funny that the peace we constantly seek has such an easy path, but we just don't allow ourselves to submit completely to God in order to achieve it. This is a personal struggle of mine.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...