Monday, October 27, 2008

"Count the Cost"

What would happen if we really made that lifestyle change we're always talking about? We're going to eat better, work out more, stop doing this, stop doing that.... For one thing, something might have to end...to fit exercise in your life, you have to say no to something else that takes up your time. This is what Dr. Kara calls "Counting the Cost". What are you filling your time with instead of making positive changes in your lifestyle. Can you accomodate eating well and exercise or will it take a back seat to something else? Are you looking for the quick fix, or are you going to allow yourself the time this will take to do it right and to make it permanent?

(Read Luke 14:28 for more about preparing for a big change)

I am deeply into this book I'm still reading. Sorry to bore you with it if you aren't into it! However, it is a journey for me and I am amazed by what I am discovering.

I have been very successful at losing weight in the past, and had even been able to keep it off for two years. Because it was always about the weight and nothing else, it was impossible to maintain that way of life for me. In other words, the change was not permanent. I made it to my specific goal, then I quit. When I gained weight back, I became discouraged and doubted I could do it again. I used to work out up to 5 days a week and I loved it. I believe it was the stress of building this house and now maintaining it that have me spinning, and I don't mean the spinning at the gym!

The author made this comment, "...the things that generate stress will not change just because you decide to eat cauliflower instead of candy bars." So true! Any time you decide to make a true lifestyle change, the heart has to change, your reaction to stress needs to change. It's just not all about what you eat, although we all know it plays a big part.

"Counting the cost" might mean letting some things go in your life because they are simply taking up too much time. How can you plan meals, shop right, and fit in exercise, if you don't prioritize it in the first place? That 4 hours we spend watching tv or the 45 minutes on the internet would make great times to walk, bike, do meal planning, etc... How much are we really willing to commit to ourselves? How many calls are you willing to miss?

What is driving me right now is the poor heart health all throughout my family. Being overweight is linked to stroke, diabetes, and heart disease. I don't want to be unhealthy. But like some smokers will tell you, hearing about lung cancer doesn't make them stop smoking. We can be motivated by all kinds of important things, but the bottom line is you have to exert self-control, you have to be organized, and you have to know what triggers your stress.

Desiring to be disciplined and being disciplined are so far from each other!! I am disciplined in some areas and not in others, so the key is to find out what the differences are and target that. I'm calling it my "mission:possible". For me it's not about losing weight and fitting into my skinny jeans. It's about having faith and taking action! (James 2:17)
So, don't watch for my pants to droop just yet. I am working on the heart and mind first. Anything worth doing takes important planning and strategy with a little patience worked in!!

1 comment:

Shoemaker Family said...

Wow! That is some good stuff!!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...