Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Walk in the Fall

I have discovered a wonderful thing. I love to walk. Not only do I love to walk, I love to walk fast and for long distances. I'm no longer afraid of the pain in my joints or the risk of a bursitis flare up. I've thumbed my nose at all of that. I just love to walk.

With my favorite season upon me, my walking has been like medicine on many levels. I take my time to sort out feelings, bring things to God, run over my plan for the day, and most days....I just breathe. I passed two horses today whose heads turned as I made my way past. They snuffed at me, and kept grazing, never taking their eyes off me. I watched a hawk swoop down over the path in front of me, likely spotting its kill. I scared off chipmunk after chipmunk, then spooked myself when coming upon 2 brown snakes. EEK!

The noises in the woods are both frightening and amazing. I heard rustling in the scrub beside me, some kind of weird chirping, and the sounds of many acorns hitting the forest floor. I know it sounds corny, but there is nothing like feeling "at one with nature". Everything else melts away. It's better than a bath, if you ask me.

I focus on the sound of my breathing, the sounds around me, including the seven polite "hellos" I received today. People on walks are pleasant. They're getting just what they need too. Our bodies are getting plenty of oxygen, our spirits are being renewed, and our minds are focused on something we often take for granted-beauty. And maybe the best thing we give ourselves in that moment is just the simple gift of time.

The trees are ablaze right now. It seems a bit early, but I'll take it, combined with this warm, balmy weather. One of my favorite things to do in fall is to go for a walk and let the leaves hit me as I pass under the trees. I have tried to catch them, but it eludes me so far. I must be a true tree hugger, as I can't get enough of trees right now! I could go on a million walks and still crave more. Call me a nut, that's okay. They come from trees too!

Take a few minutes to breathe while the weather is still being kind to us. Let God's beauty in nature wash over you the way it washes over me on my walks. Walk your lunch hour or just sit outside in a chair with your eyes closed. You will feel like a new person!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...