Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Superman and Me

March 12th was a turning point not only in my life but in my marriage. As I sat on the phone with Steve as he raced home to me, lots of scary thoughts were swirling through my head...am I having a stroke? Aneurysm? Is this "it"? I tried to remain calm as he stayed on the line with me, and his voice reassured me. "I'm almost there. You still ok baby? What's Angel doing? Is she sitting with you?" And on and on he talked, keeping me conversing until I settled down. What a drive that must have been! 

By the time he got here I was okay. It's not the first time he's had to take care of me. He's been taking care of me before we were even married. He dated me sick. He proposed to me sick. He married me sick. He knew what he was getting. So did I. A wonderful man who has loved me the way Christ wants him to love me. Is there a better love than this? It is only second to the love God has for me.  This is the love God chose for me. It is blessed. 

While he has always been selfless in his love for me, this time was different. This time I truly felt helpless. I couldn't drive, shop, cook, or do many of the things I was used to doing for the household. Suddenly he found himself doing his own stressful job, plus being a full time dad and husband, chauffeur, cook, grocery shopper, you name it. And did he complain? Not once. Not a peep! And that man had to buy a lot of crazy girl stuff! I have been through a lot of crazy medical stuff. He has not had it easy. He finished a crazy day at work, sometimes getting out later than planned, then stopped for groceries, then came home, sometimes having to either cook or run the girls somewhere. And work never ends at his desk. His work follows him home. And sometimes I had to follow him to work...though I didn't want to! Poor guy was pulled in more directions than a rubber band! 

He didn't want a pat on the back, nor a medal or accolades. When I told him he was my superman, he'd just say, "you'd do the same for me". Yes, I would. But I doubt my spirit would do it as sweetly as his! 

He sat through every doctor appointment, helping me voice when I just couldn't make sense. He fought for me, advocated for me, protected me, and kept me comforted and positive the best he could. I'm sure it took every bit of energy he had. At the time I was so focused on trying to get better I probably didn't think about it. I'm thinking now. 

He brought me clothes, lotions, candy, my favorite books, iTunes cards, movies, classic tv shows on DVD, flowers, just any surprise he could think of to lift me up. At night he would put his hands on me and pray. He would text me in the morning and ask if I felt his prayers yet. He kept the house picked up and the girls in line, and tried to keep as much stress from me as he could. 

How can I thank him for this love? To continue to be the wife he is glad to come home to each day. The one who doesn't nag him! The one who encourages him, helps him, prays for him, helps lessen his load a bit. The one who has his back always. The one who laughs with and at him when he says in his best Buddy the Elf voice, "that's it. You're my best friend." 

He is my best friend. Always. Together we can conquer anything. God has been so good to us in giving us to each other. 
He just keeps showing us every day how much we need each other and giving us the strength to continue to meet those needs. We are stronger and closer than ever having gone through these lady few rough months. I am grateful for this challenge if all I got to see was how much my husband cherishes me and our family. (Even though I already knew)

Good always comes from our hard times and blessings follow trials. I choose to see the joy in my marriage and the love that has grown between my best friend, Superman and me. 


2 comments:

sirnorm1 said...

Matt.12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings forth good things:

Angela said...

Lots of love to you and Steve. God sure brought an awesome man into your life for sure.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...