Sunday, June 19, 2016

It's Her Party, And We'll Shrine if We Want To.....




We celebrated Natalie's graduation with her open house on Saturday, and while it was a great time with friends and family, I am so glad it's behind me. I have been so busy planning this party, that I have had little time for anything else. So, back to my normal life, I hope.

Many people came to celebrate with us, some from the church we used to attend, and while Natalie didn't know them very well, they came to show their support of our family because they are caring people. We appreciated each and every person who came. Her band director came, and we had a very nice conversation about Natalie that just warmed my heart. Natalie also had a chance to hear what many people thought about her valedictory speech since many did not get a chance to see her after graduation. It blessed her to hear them give such positive feedback and it touched me that they remembered what she said. One guest, who happens to be a pretty special friend to us, gave us a plaque that says, "Work hard, stay humble". What a beautiful reminder that they understood and remembered not only her speech, but her goal for herself. Her cards came with personal handwritten messages of encouragement and wishes for her future. It was a wonderful morning for our family to hear her read each and every card aloud and talk about each person who wrote to her.

 It was a truly blessed event, and I had prayed so much before the party that not only would we not only have enough seating and food, but that each person would feel welcome and have a good time.  I could tell by their goodbye hugs and comments that they felt just that. That's really all I care about when people are in our presence as a family. I know sometimes when I am feeling anxious or stressed, I can be less than my best self, and several things were going wrong at the beginning, but I was trying hard to smile and be polite because I was so happy about the day.  I guess I pulled it off, because no one could tell I was in a panic, except for maybe sweet Pammy, who I depend on for my sanity many times! 

I couldn't have asked for a better day for Natalie. Great food, great family and friends. There will be things we will do differently for Serena's party for sure. Like hire some help!! Lots of it. And maybe go to Hawaii instead? Hmm...

Natalie, though a sweet personality, is shy in nature, and was worried about all the people coming, and what she would say, and how she would handle it all. She's not the most outgoing person, and seemed to think that was a deficit. I explained that not everyone has to have a bubbly personality to be polite. Not everyone was made to be outgoing. Not everyone is comfortable with people they don't know. Some people are quiet, some are loud. Some are okay in situations with a lot of people, and some are not. In short, it's okay to be whoever you are, and not apologize for who you are. I gave her a few pointers on how to be polite and greet people, and she did very well. She was very personable and kind, and only missed a couple of guests, who she said sat down too quickly, and then she was too timid to approach them because she didn't know them as well. I can't wait to see what a semester of college will do to help her with her confidence. While it's okay to be quiet and introverted, I know she can be quite outgoing and charming when she's comfortable with people too. Hopefully people will give her the grace she needs to let her be who she is and not judge her for going her own pace. Inside she is trying her best, and it takes a lot for her to approach people. I can relate to this, so I guess I give people a lot more room than others do. I don't know. I like quiet people...they're usually very sincere people. One thing I know about Natalie. She is sincere and honest. She is who she is. I love that about her.

So, on to summer plans, and having some time with Natalie before we drop her off at college in August. It doesn't seem real to me yet, and maybe it won't until we drive away from her campus without her. But I'm in a good place with this because she is more than ready to move on. She is excited about her future, ready for some independence, and she really needs this. If I didn't think she was ready, I would be worried about her leaving home.  She's a lot like her mom. She will push herself beyond her limits as long as no one is holding her back. She wants to move beyond her comfort zone, but if we are in her way, she will stay in it. If she is on her own, she will be forced to do things for herself, but if she has to rely on someone to help her, she will. So, she needs this, and because of this, I can let her go with peace in my heart. This is what is best for both of us. As she stands at the edge of the nest, I don't even need to push her. She's ready to fly. Soar girl. Soar.

And mama bird will just stand here smiling and eating Steve's amazing smoked brisket. Wow, can that man smoke a brisket!

2 comments:

Angela said...

So grateful for the time you were able to have with family and friends and for the support and confirmation of how Natalie has chosen to live her life and the person she is. God is good!

Angela said...

P.S. The display is beautiful.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...