Monday, January 30, 2017

Psalm 68:5...

I belong to a new club. One I didn't join willingly, but one I knew would one day be my membership as an adult. Sometime in the early morning hours of January 17th, my father passed away quietly in his chair, leaving all of us shocked and heartbroken. He was 78, and as far as we knew, was doing well and showed no signs of impending death.

The memorial service was Saturday. Many people came and the pastor gave a wonderful eulogy, having known my dad personally through church and dad's acts of service. I have few words at this time. I am still absorbing the magnitude of losing the most prominent man in my life since the day of my birth. I can't grasp it fully yet, and I'm not sure I have the capacity to do that just yet.
I believe he is with God, and for that I am at peace. My dad will no longer feel the pain of living here on earth. He is where I strive to be when I meet my final day on earth.

I belong to the club of the many who are now without fathers, yet I still have a heavenly Father, whose ways are way beyond my understanding. I will write more when I can get my head around how I feel. Right now I think I am in "caretaker mode", knowing I need to look out for my mom and my daughters. I think I will stay in that mode for awhile.

"a father to the fatherless, a defender of widows is God in his holy dwelling.." Psalm 68:5

2 comments:

sirnorm1 said...

God heal your heart miss Jami

Unknown said...

Popped over to see if you had written anything - I haven't visited your "neighborhood" in a while. Still keeping you in my thought and prayers as you go about figuring out how to navigate things without your Dad. It is not easy, but he has been preparing you for this your entire life - all the talks, lessons, time spent together, the way he lived his life, mistakes he made, redemptions he made, and especially the love he gave - all of it was to prepare you to be able to continue on after he moved on to heaven. I know he is watching over you all!!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...