Thursday, February 4, 2010

Project Snoopy Mail


Lots of things get in the way of family time and keep us running in different directions. Lately it's been basketball practices, games, and work obligations. I am a firm believer in the family dinner table, so it's thrown me for a bit of a loop. Since Natalie has practice at 5:30, I make dinner at 4:00 so she can eat a healthy, home-cooked dinner, not just a quick bite. Serena and I sit with her while she eats, then run her up to practice. I then get back home, and get dinner ready again for the rest of us. I won't compromise by making quick unhealthy meals just to get us out the door, so it's a bit more work. I enjoy cooking, so it's not that big of a deal, just a bit more time and planning.
Serena has birthday parties the next 2 Saturdays, and of course, we have basketball games the next two Saturdays. Since we can't be in two places at once, we are trying to get creative about how we get everyone where they need to be. I do groan a bit about it, but it's all new to me, and I'm trying to find a balance. The root of my frustration is just that I don't like to compromise our family time. That's really what it comes down to. I'm not ready for all of that yet. I find myself longing for the days before school started and life was simpler. Well, in some ways it was anyway!
So, in my efforts to keep us from feeling too detached, I came up with a solution. I pulled out my old Snoopy mailbox and set up a "post office" in the kitchen. Each day we write notes to each other and place them in the box with the flag up. (No peeking, of course) At dinner time, or whatever time we are all in the same area, we open the mail and read it out loud together. The notes have been really sweet, and it has encouraged the girls to find one nice thing to say to each other instead of bickering. The notes don't have to be fancy or long. It's amazing what one little note can do for your day! We might just keep this up after Valentine's Day is over.

I thank God every day that I am still able to be home for my family. To be here to cook a healthy meal, to run them here and there, and to be ready for those emergencies, like dirty practice clothes. I know it is a privilege to be here, so I am making the most of it.
Be blessed and protect your family time. You will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...