Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Parenting Is Not For The Weak

We made it through another week! Not that I look at life as just making it from one week to the next, but last week felt like a war zone in a parenting sort of way.

My kids were great. Nat had a great basketball game, Serena had awesome remarks at her PT conferences, and all A's to boot! Their attitudes were great, they were listening, and being respectful.

It's not my kids that get me all riled up. It's other parents! Without being too specific, let's just say that it's not always the kids who make it difficult for other kids to stand up for what is right.

When I send my daughters on sleepovers, I expect the parents to be respectful. That includes not watching movies we don't approve of here, or allowing my kids to watch movies they are not ready to watch. I do expect them to clear any movie choices with me first. Yes, I do! Just as I would clear my choices with them. Odd behavior? It seems to be to some. It really is just normal for me. Even further, I would expect that if I said, "No, we don't approve of that movie that has language, nudity, and crude behavior", that the parent would 86 that movie, not ask that my child come later after the other kids get to see it, and even be a little embarassed that they didn't know what they were about to watch. In one week, we saw one parent do the right thing by asking first, and saw yet another go in another direction.

It left one of my daughters thinking, "Is seeing that movie more important than me being there?" Good question. Kids make these mistakes all the time, but parents? I expect them to stand for something good. In fact, shouldn't we all be standing together??

I needed only to remind her of many verses in the Bible, which gave her the basis of why we say no to those things. I felt for her, as being left out, singled out, or the "uncool" one is never fun! I reminded her that as long as God is watching, we will seek to please Him, not anyone else. We'll try to do it politely and quietly, but it will be done.

I already see the rewards of standing up for what is right, and I hope the girls will too. I know it isn't easy to be "the only one", because I've been in that position as a kid and as an adult. However, God blesses those who do right by Him, and that's our purpose first and foremost.

We made it through one test and there will be plenty more. Hang on to your kids, parents. Don't be afraid to parent them. Don't worry about being their buddy. Believe me, they don't want you to be their friend. They want you to be their safe place, and a safe parent sets clear limits. Don't be afraid to stick to your guns and do what is right by God and your family!! No matter what the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...