Monday, November 20, 2023

The Gift of Nature

 Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy. 

Psalms 96:11-12


I've been taking the time to make peace a high priority in my life, as others and circumstances try to steal it. I'll just say here that peace is a personal responsibility. No one can steal it unless we let them, and it's something I'm trying to get better at executing in my life. Boundaries, discipline, and setting limits on myself have become crucial to getting that standard of peace in my life. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. So not only am I learning to implement personal changes, but I have to understand that God already gave me His peace, and not to be troubled by things of this world. That includes when others try to pull me into their chaos, which happens on a daily basis if you live in the world. But God also says here to not let my heart be troubled, which gives me the responsibility, so I turn to the things that give me worldly peace, and that is heavenly nature. 

As I am taking a long ride around the woods surrounding our property, I am taking note of all the different textures and colors of the bark on the trees, the size of their trunks, and the stretch of their expansive branches. I'm observing the backdrop of the brilliant blue sky behind their forms, and the interesting shapes of each variety, looking at them from different angles, and almost seeing some of them for the first time. Did I realize there were so many shades of green in these pine trees? So many different colors of white on the birch? I think I have a sweater in the exact color of the rust of the oak leaves still clinging to the branches. Some of the pines are loaded with cones, while others are swaying freely. The bright red berries are even brighter when the sun shines on them. The sound of my golf cart tires passing through thick layers of dried leaves almost sounds like driving through deep puddles on pavement. Whoooooshhhhhhh! The sights and the sounds of nature lull me into a calm like no other manmade remedy can accomplish. God designed all of these colors, sights, and sounds to coordinate in stunning perfection, even as they transform when the seasons change. Not one can outshine another. The magnificence of snow is just as glorious as the brilliant green of spring grass, although some would disagree. Amazing. Only God could know how all of these things would fit together for our pleasure. Jeremiah 32:17 "Ah, Lord God, it is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you." 

The carpet of ferns out by the cabin are now a deep russet brown, making the massive, dark green pines stand out even more. It must be their turn to shine, as the maples and oaks take their turn to rest. When I stand completely still on the cabin porch, I can hear the barred owls calling to each other. Who-Who-Who-Whooooooo? Well, it's me. Lately I have started talking back to them like I do when I feed my little songbirds. Here you go, sweet chickadee-dee-dee-dees. They see me coming and fly right toward me, and yes, I talk to all of them. After years of standing still, hoping for them to eat from my hands, one finally did come, land inside my cup, took a seed, and landed on a nearby branch with complete trust in me. The intense and pure joy that radiated throughout my heart and came out my mouth was sweet joy I hadn't experienced in awhile. I simply said aloud, "Oh, wow. Thank you." Who did I say that to? My Lord, who gave me that sweet blessing. Deer, owls, birds, squirrels, chipmunks, air, sky, clouds, stars, trees, peace.  I live in the woods and the woods lives in me. I will never tire of seeing the wildlife around my home. I will never get bored watching turkeys, rabbits, deer, birds, and whatever new four-legged or winged creature decides to hang out here. (no snakes, sorry) Psalm 104:24 How many are your works, Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. 

While life has been chaotic and full of strife and challenges lately, I take my whole self outside. I look up at the clouds and watch them shift and let my mind shift with them. At night when I take my sweet Angel outside, I look up at the clear, dark sky, and let the stars absorb me and my thoughts. I've prayed and even spoken words out loud to people who have gone before me, or people I miss who are still here.  I let the light that shines in the darkness remind me to keep my light shining, no matter what. Psalm 19 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Nature speaks and I listen. It is quiet outside, and sometimes we just need to be silent in order to hear ourselves, and to hear God speaking into our hearts. When I am outside, I am surrounded by God's creation and instantly reminded to be grateful, humbled, and in His presence. Where else am I going to find that kind of healing and gratitude? God is literally everywhere, yes. But he didn't create my couch, he created the earth I am standing on with my feet, and somehow, that sends ripples of peace into my soul. 

Nature is my medicine. I am drawn to the very thing that has been created to heal me. God created this bountiful earth and everything in it for our use and our enjoyment. And while things within parts of this world may be chaotic and wild and out of our control, we can return to a place of peace when we go outside. We can light a fire, sit beside it, and give God our cares. We can watch the way the sun filters through the trees and remember that we can also filter our own light throughout small spaces and darkness. We can be transformed by the sounds of waves, and soften hardness by the continuous movement of our own gentle waves upon the rocks that others have become. We can stay our sweet, gentle selves, like the moss and the violets that are not concerned about what tramples upon them. We can look at ourselves as nature, as the creation of God, because we are. Isaiah 43:7 ...everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." Not only are we His creation, but we are His masterpiece! Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. God prepared a beautiful place for us before He even created us, because He loved us. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. What a thought—he was thinking of us when He created all the beautiful colors, sights, and wonders that we would come to experience and enjoy on the earth. How appropriate then, to think of Him when appreciating His gift. 

As some of us gather around Thanksgiving tables this season, let's remember to be thankful to God, who has given us all of our blessings. So many that we could not count them all. Maybe life isn't all we want it to be at the moment, and some things aren't going so well. Reach out for the Lord's healing in all of those areas, and He will answer. If you're able, head outside for some fresh air and nature healing.  Be blessed. 



3 comments:

sirnorm1 said...

This is a peacful word in season. Thank you, Miss Jami.

Anonymous said...

As I was reading, I could feel what you were feeling, it was a very peaceful reading. I was drawn in. Love mom

Anonymous said...

The blessings are always there, just have to look harder sometimes to see them. Thanks for reminding us to search them out. Happy Thanksgiving.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...