Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My "To- Don'ts" List

I am a list maker. I love to make lists of just about anything. To do lists, shopping lists, favorite things, etc... However, in my collection of lists, I didn't have a "To Don't" list. Well, I'm working on it as we sit here together. My mom gave me the idea when we were sitting together with our mentor, and mom mentioned she made a list of things she doesn't do anymore. I didn't ask her to elaborate, but it got me to thinking about mine. As you grow in Christ, there are things you are urged to work on or change by the Holy Spirit. These are things that just don't fit into your new self. I won't share my whole list, because I don't want anyone to see something on there that they do and think it's wrong or bad. In fact, only God cares what you do anyway, so it's really nobody's business!!
To get my point across, I will share a couple of my "To- Don'ts" from my list.

1. I don't clean my house from top to bottom every time company is coming.
2. I don't let someone's judgement of me tear me down anymore.
3. I don't stay angry as long.
4. I don't worry about things I can't change.

So, although a "To-Don't" list has it's purpose, I urge anyone reading this to instead construct a list of things they will DO.

Like this....
1. I will open the door and welcome the unexpected guest at my door, and I will smile at them!
2. I will forgive the person who is speaking ill of me and ask for God's favor on them!
3. I will give my emotions over to God and let him help me with my anger.
4. I will only do what I can do and I will do my best.

A more positive list for sure! That is key when making changes. See what you're already doing right and build on that. And one more thing, "Don't" sweat the small stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...