Thursday, May 6, 2010

Kersplash!

On Tuesday, I worked on the upstairs, cleaning and organizing the girls "wing". Wow. Girls are messy! I won't elaborate, but truly...whew!

So I went most of the day without the TV on, because I tend to sing and hum while I clean. A little known fact about me. Now you know. Lucky you. Anyway, back to the story. So, I wanted to check something out on TV, but noticed the satellite was out. I figured it was because it was windy, so I didn't think much of it.

After the kids got home and wanted to watch TV, I decided I'd better go down to the basement and check out the satellite box and see what was what.

Well,here's where my title comes in! Kersplash,went my foot as it hit the basement floor! Two icy inches of water was covering our entire basement floor! A regular redneck swimming pool was mine!

Well, I didn't exactly have that initial reaction. Instead I yelled out to no one..."OH NO. OH NO OH NO OH NO!!!!" The girls heard my cries and came running down to see what the problem was, and they were soon rolling up their pant legs and splashing all over the basement. Such fun for a 10 and 12 year old I'm sure! Not fun for this mom!

So after trying in vain to reach Steve, I called my trusty Pop and he came to my rescue. All I had to tell him on the phone was "Dad, I have a swimming pool in my basement!"

SO both of my parents came out to help me get the sump running and get the bulk of the water sloshing back down into the drains. Steve arrived shortly after getting my message and pretty much just did his quiet sigh, shrug, and inner scream.

Two days later, we have our carpet torn out and many things tossed in the trash. Sigh, shrug, scream.

However, we feel blessed to have such helpful parents. We are blessed that the flooding was in the basement, where we don't have many treasures! We are blessed that the water receded quickly and we were able to correct the problem easily. We are blessed that we had an offer of help from our pastor today, who was willing to spend his day off lugging soggy carpet up the stairs.

Soggy and tired, but very blessed! Kersplash!! My redneck swimming pool is gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should have called us silly girl. We are only a call away and we would have been there. Glad that you got it going again. (The sub pump), that is never a nice surprise when that happens.
Pamalou

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...