Monday, May 3, 2010

Mother of the Year...NOT!

Friday was an awesome day. Probably the best day I've had in a long time! Steve had taken the day off to turkey hunt, but I guess he changed his mind because he was hanging around as I was getting around to take the kids to school. He had a few ideas about what he was going to do...move dirt around, cut some trees, clean the barn...OR, I suggested, he could take me to Harvey's for lunch and then to Begick's nursery. SOLD! He exclaimed, so off we went for a glorious afternoon hanging out together. My parents agreed to keep the kids for dinner, so we enjoyed a little time at home before all the craziness would begin. It was nice to be in the house alone...wow, so different! Kinda like those quiet pre-kid days!

Anyway, as the girls arrived back home, I asked them both about their days, and Serena said to me a bit shyly, "I had a good day, and I did really well reading my story in front of the people at the Volunteer Tea today." (KABOOM went my head) Do I really need to admit the rest? Yes, I was invited to the Volunteer Tea, complete with entertainment by the fourth grade choir (my daughter's class). Yes, she was one of two students whose story was chosen to read on stage in front of all the good moms. Yes, I was planning on being there, yes, yes, yes! But did I remember? NO NO NO!!! Oh, I felt as big as a flea, maybe even smaller. I wanted to die right then and there. I felt so completely horrible and guilty and all those other mom emotions that go through and rip your heart into pieces.

She hugged me, realizing my complete memory loss, and told me it was okay, Sara and Theresa were there.....oh, I love those girls too, but it made me feel so bad anyway! Sara did my part, hugging Serena and telling her what a good job she did. And where was I? Out eating a turkey pannini at Harvey's blissfully unaware of my mistake. Sigh....

Steve reminded me that to feel guilty, you have to have done something wrong deliberately, and this was not one of those times. I know what he meant in my head, it was my heart that was bothering me. See, I've never missed those important things! But guess what? If I was a working mom, I probably wouldn't have made half of those things, and I certainly wouldn't be invited to a Volunteer Tea! So,I justified myself, bought my daughter ice cream and a new book, and let it go.

Whew...another day of parenting down, a million more to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've all been there one time or the other. I missed you at pearls.
Oh, remember, your kids think that you're the greatest!!! and you are.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...