Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Coffee and Oatmeal

I'm finding pleasure in simple things these days, since my world is a bit small for the moment! Since things were getting a bit stressful for me, I decided that I needed to eat better and sleep more. That can also mean taking a little power nap in the middle of the day. Yes, the middle of the day. It also means eating healthier, because we should know by now that stress can cause you to gain or lose weight, and never in a healthy way. So, back to the fruits and veggies for me. I have felt much better already.

My daily breakfast has been simple ole oatmeal. Not the cement kind you get in hotel buffets, no way! I cook up a batch of regular oatmeal, then add "pie and cookies" to it. "Pie" means adding fruit, such as apples, then a bit of vanilla, brown sugar, a splash of milk, and a sprinkle of apple pie spice. Top it off with a handful of walnuts (omega 3's) and watch a little TV. So relaxing. Today I had "Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal". I made the girls pumpkin pancakes for breakfast this morning, so I had a little pumpkin (actually a lot) left over. I added a spoonful to my oatmeal with my vanilla, brown sugar, and milk, then topped it with chopped pecans and pumpkin pie spice. Yummy!

My girls are particularly fond of "Oatmeal cookie Oatmeal", and it's a no-brainer. Just add raisins, nuts, vanilla, brown sugar, milk, and a little cinnamon on top. That's how I got them to eat it in the first place! Now they love to experiment with their oatmeal flavors. We just think "cookies and pie", and the ideas come rushing in. You can always cut back on the sugar and use skim milk to make it even healthier. I find that oatmeal keeps me full until lunchtime too! Sometime I'll tell you about my doctored tomato soup too!

My coffee has also had a makeover. I love cappuccino, but refuse to pay $4 for it! So, I bought the instant cappuccino mix. I take about 2 teaspoons of it, add a little of my fat free vanilla creamer, microwave it for about 25 seconds, then take it out and whip it with my tiny whippy dipper thing. (got it at the dollar store for free!)It froths up like a real cappuccino, then you just add your regular coffee to it. I sometimes add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, or I use flavored coffee to start. A good one is cinnamon vanilla nut.

Another stress reliever for me is to use room sprays or candles. I just spritz a little spray here and there, and it's instant tranquility.

It's the little things that keep me going, I've always said. I am trying hard not to let my temporary situation derail me. I've been asked why I'm keeping my dog alive right now. Well, let me just say that you would be lucky to be my dog. If you're still happy to see me, you're still walking and wagging your tail, you still love treats and snuggling, then I will do everything in my power to make you happy until you decide you can't be happy anymore. When she gives up, I will give up too. And it will be our decision, no one else's!!

Until then, I will enjoy my oatmeal and coffee....and my Sophie dog too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...