Monday, August 29, 2011

Future Flyer

I'm not just a mom. I figured it out. I'm a life coach. Although my own life could use some attention, tweaking, and improving, my role lately is to coach the lives of my daughters.

Natalie's primary interest (besides fashion, of course) is music. The girl has a guitar in her hand for at least a couple hours a day. She's learning some new song, improving her voice, and, as she puts it, "trying to make her fingers bleed". We encourage her in every possible way. She is learning about famous guitarists, music styles, different genres, and the different types of music equipment. She's learning to push her voice a bit, and finding her pitch. It has been a joy to sit in my own house and be treated to a concert nearly every night. Serena knows how to harmonize, and will jump in with her sweet voice or rhythym.

Serena's primary interest has always been writing. She learned to read at a very early age, and naturally, she learned to write early as well. Her kindergarten teacher had her writing and publishing her own stories while the rest of the class learned to read. As she's gotten older, her writing has changed, and so we've been working on writing skills. Today we spent a whole afternoon outside with a table and chairs in the shade, working on one of her stories. It was a bit strained at first, as she handed me her story premise. I simply stated the title, then reiterated what I thought the story was about. She immediately got defensive and frustrated. Whoa! When I calmly asked her where that was coming from, she said, "I've never shared these stories with anyone." Okay, she's protective of her work, but mostly of her fragile ego. She wasn't ready to hear any criticism, and I had to assure her that I had none for her anyway! Okay, she's a typical sensitive artsy type. Well noted.

On other days, the girls and I work on fashion and hair tips, usually with me french braiding so they can have "kinky" hair. I help put outfits together, using their style, not mine. I help clear up acne, snuff out cramps, find the best shampoo for unruly hair, cure nosebleeds, pre-watch every movie they request, and help them with sticky social situations.

I teach them about God, Jesus, and the Bible. I remind them of our family values, and help them to follow them through. I show them how to serve a volleyball, a tennis ball, and hang clothes on the line. I show them how to fold a tee shirt, can tomatoes, and cook various things. I give them short cuts on chores, and help them budget money. I show them the proper way to do a pushup, the best way to get a stain out, and how to answer the phone politely.

And back to me....while I try to sort out what it is I even know how to do anymore, I will be empowering my girls to do it all. While I will wonder what would have happened had I been able to finish college, I will be helping them to pick out schools and majors. And in the middle of it all, somewhere, I will have to find a way to sprout some of my own wings so I will have some flying to do when they leave my nest, wings strong and intact.

Mom. Life coach, and future flyer....well, let's hope.

1 comment:

Michelle Roman said...

Jami, you are flying right now!!! You are able to do some really great things that you are taking time to pass along to your girls! Perhaps if you finished school and were flying somewhere else you wouldn't have quite as many moments with those beautiful girls of yours! In the days ahead you'll find other ways to fly....but for now, you're doing a great job!!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...