Monday, July 9, 2012

Vacation Week

Well, it's over...the week of Steve's vacation flew by! On Monday, I started the day with a migraine. Doesn't that figure? Just goes along with my summer so far. Anyway, the plan was to go up to the family cottage and mow the lawn for my parents so they could get up there. Well, because of my dumb headache, I ended up staying home while Steve and the girls mowed the lawn. Natalie actually mowed most of the lawn, and seemed to enjoy it, as Steve told me she sang at the top of her lungs the whole time! (there are few neighbors and it's way back off the road...only the toads care)I was feeling better by Tuesday, thankfully. We were at a loss as to how to celebrate the 4th, being it's on my least favorite day of the week, Wednesday. The heat basically kept us from doing all the things we had hoped to do while he was home. Sigh. The girls were feeling cheated out of a fun 4th and I was feeling guilty about it. We have been going up to the lake with family for as long as I can remember and because of my dad's health and other stuff, no one has been going up there the last couple of years. The girls absolutely love the cottage, but Steve couldn't get the water working up there on Monday, so we knew we couldn't spend the night up there. We decided instead to take a day trip up to the local parade and then picnic at the cottage. We took Angel with us, as she loves to ride in the car. It was a nice hot day for a parade, but we found a nice shady patch to sit in and enjoyed at least a little bit of our tradition. The lake was beautiful, but the lack of attention to the place was glaring. I felt discouraged, but decided we need to do a lake clean up day when it's cool. We're gonna need help...a bunch of trees dumped limbs all over the yard and the weeds have taken over the beach. Even the firepit needs to be dug back out. It seems like a mountain right now. We decided to find some local fireworks that night and it was okay, just not as fun as usual. On Thursday I had planned on going to some garage sales with my mom and sister, but oddly enough, they didn't show up to pick me up. So, I headed out on my own and then went with Steve and the girls later. We didn't find much at all, I guess due to the heat and some power outages in the area. We spent a lot of time in the pool over the course of the week, which was glorious, to say the least. On Friday, I mustered up some courage and went out to see my pastor and his wife, who were asked to resign from their church in June. I have felt very bad about it, and knew it was going to be hard to see them. The visit was nice, and we were able to unload some bigger items from them so they wouldn't have to move them or give nice things away. Now on my front porch is a beautiful handmade bench, made by my pastor's dad, which will always remind me of them. We also have some exercise equipment....that will always remind me how much I don't like working out! The girls are excited about it though, so it all worked out. We are now in search of a non-denominational church, which will begin sometime later. We're taking a little hiatus right now. Life has certainly thrown us a lot of changes this year. Some good, some not so good. But like always, we're just gonna roll with it and see what happens. Well, maybe a bumpy roll anyway. So that was our vacation week. I know I made it sound kind of uneventful. It really was a nice week with Steve home. We had a lot of fun in the pool and on our many roadtrips this week, one to Vicksburg and one to Sparta for open houses. It's always nice to have all of us together, even if we're doing nothing! Hope you had a nice 4th week too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...