Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Major Life Change

I know I haven't mentioned our most major life change this year on my blog, but it's only because I've mentioned it to death on Facebook instead. On June 17th, Natalie, our 15 year old, had corrective surgery for scoliosis. A spinal fusion from T5 to L3. We went to the University of Michigan's C.S. Mott's Children's Hospital for the 6 hour long surgery. Longest day of our lives.

The longest week of our lives would follow, as she spent the next 6 days in the hospital. I am still hesitant to share even with those I am close to, the intimate details of those days. I guess it's not time. All I can say is that my daughter and I bonded in a way that can never be broken. I like to think of it as one day we saw each other's souls. There is no other way to describe the kind of strength I saw in her and the courage I found in myself. God. That's the word to describe it.

And so now we are nearly 3 months into healing and she is doing great. She is pursuing her music full force, as her physical condition no longer allows her to play the sports she loves the most. I am proud of her perseverance. So very proud that she has accepted this with such grace and dignity. She is far beyond me, even at 15.  While I will pine for things I miss, she just finds new things to love. She has taught me more in three months than anyone could teach me in 20 years. She is truly inspiring and amazing.

This surgery and recovery has not been without its ups and downs, nor has it left any family member untouched. It has been a difficult road for Natalie, but we found out what a trouper she really is inside. This self-proclaimed "germophobe", who is terrified of pain, came through this so strong, I could only give the glory to God. We know He was with her, within her, around her, and with us the entire time. It's the only way I could explain the peace we all felt. Natalie, at peace as she's being prepped for surgery. Us at peace as they rolled her away. At peace as we waited 6 hours. At peace as we anticipated seeing her in recovery. At peace when the monitor alarms kept going off. Well, maybe not a lot of peace there...I wavered, I admit.

That was our summer. That was our daughter's 15th summer. She will never forget it and neither will we. It's hard to talk about, but I did join a support group in which we feel completely welcomed. It's a place to be open and honest, share our emotions, and know that people care. That way we don't have to be so hurt about the people who seemingly don't care or just don't get it.

All I know is we have a long way to go, but a lot of strength in which to carry this new challenge. My hope and Natalie's goal is to be a help for others going through this life change. We've already touched a few lives and are ready to touch many more.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Praise the Lord for the way He's been with all of you, especially Natalie. Way to go Natalie!!! May God continue to give Natalie the strength and healing she needs. May He give you the strength and comfort you and the rest of your family needs too. God is good.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...