Friday, February 12, 2016

Hard Love


I've noticed a lot of "ironic" things lately, much like the people described in the quote above. 
My daughters recently brought this to my attention just in casual conversation, and sadly, I can't disagree. They were telling me that of the people that have hurt them the most, it's the people who should know better. It's the ones who "go to church" who are the ones who get in cliques and leave others out, and engage in other rude behaviors that their other non-church friends don't do. 
I used to tell them to surround themselves with like-minded people, but now I tell them to surround themselves with like-hearted people. Because while some may share your beliefs, they may not execute them through the heart, and you will not be compatible. 
It is hard to be the recipient of others' rude and careless actions, especially when they claim to be something they are clearly not. It is hard to not point it out to others because we want to defend ourselves at that age, and are very concerned with what everyone thinks. 
But I still believe, and I still teach my girls that God sees everything people do, and it's not up to us to expose their colors. It just makes us look bad. Defend ourselves, yes, but let God deal with them, and hopefully give us peace in the process. Let God empower us to do the right thing, and be an example of love, however difficult that can be some days. 
And help us forgive those who say and do hurtful things, especially those who claim to believe as we do, for they are harming their witness to others. 
We've had some really deep conversations around here, and some really hard days, requiring a lot of prayer. 
Not just for our pain, but for the obvious pain of those who inflict it on us. Because if you claim to love God, you must show love to others. It's not always easy as an adult, and even harder to teach to teens who continue to be hurt by the same things every day. 
Be blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...