Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Love Better

"Whatever you focus on, you become." -Pastor Rick Warren

What are you focused on? What is consuming your thoughts on a daily basis? These are good questions to ask ourselves in relation to how we are spending our time. Rick's podcasts have been all about love, which has also been my topic of focus lately, and I find it interesting that no matter what topic I am thinking of in my mind, it involves love in some way.

...Love keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:5

If we are focused on things that happened in the past, we become our past. If we focus on resentments, or hurtful things others have done to us, we become the walking wounded because we never let anything go. Whatever we begin to repeat in our minds will become who we are, no matter how hard we try to fight it, simply because we are giving it power in our minds day and night.

He who covers over an offense promotes love,but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends. Proverbs 17:9

The good news is, we can also focus on positive things, such as our own potential, our own future, and God's promises for our lives. We can change the focus in our lives no matter what happened in the past, no matter who has hurt us, and no matter what is happening now.

As I listened to Rick put all of this in perspective,I thought of the areas where I have fallen short. Every time I have held a grudge, any time I have discussed a matter with a friend instead of the person I have the issue with, (this is gossip, by the way) any time I have not talked to God before I talked to my husband or my kids about an issue, every time I've been tempted to speak before I think. The times I've been irritable when I could have just been patient. The times I put my own feelings ahead of someone else. That's just a short list of times I've failed to apply love.

Every time we judge before we ask questions, carry resentments over things we don't try to resolve, don't apply tenderness and gentleness with our speech, whether in person or online. We don't try to understand situations, don't apply compassion, give too much credence to certain things and not others, give excuses for "I'm not perfect" or "this is just how I am", but definitely not enough love and not enough tenderness in so many areas. So much concern to get our own points or beliefs across, but not much concern for the way we are delivering them.  As Dr. Phil would say, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" In this case, how well are you loving people for the sake of being "right"?  Even if you are right, and it's for the sake of God, even God wants you to deliver His truth gently and not in a rude,obnoxious, hit-me-over-the-head-way!

All I can say about love is we have to do better. Love better and put love first. I have failed at this and will probably fail again, but it is in my heart to do better.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4: 2,3

Blessings and love to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...