Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Mystery Sister

I wasn't sure I wanted to share this story or not, but it has stayed with me and I think I know why. I walked into church last Wednesday night a little early for my mentor group. I thought I'd have a chance to visit or prepare. Instead, I was given a lesson and someone new to pray for.
The person sitting there in the foyer gave me her usual friendly smile. I greeted her warmly, telling her I hadn't seen her in awhile, maybe because I hadn't been to (her place of work) in awhile. She stiffened, then gave me a curt reply. "Well, I was fired from there. I don't work there anymore. I don't have a job, but that's all people care about is where you work or how much money you have. That's why I quit coming to this church..." and a little more was added that I won't share. Shocked, because I was expecting her usual friendly self to ask me all about my family, I just said kind of awkwardly, "I'm really sorry to hear that. I always thought you did a nice job there." Duh!! What does one say in these situations anyway? She then gathered up her things, whirled away from me and walked off, muttering the whole way. She then turned back to me and said, "Money isn't everything, you know. You can't take it with you!!"
The "old" me would have taken that attack a little personally. The "new" me, however, knew instantly that this outburst had nothing to do with me or anyone else. I had just heard from a heartbroken individual. A person who is on her own with no job, a person who doesn't have the support system that I have. Someone who doesn't feel the Spirit of God within her. That to me is heartbreaking in itself. I could have stopped her and tried to talk to her, but I felt a stronger urge to let her go. After all, with all the pain she was carrying and anger toward the church, she was in fact, inside the church! Not only that, she said at one point, "I read my Bible today, and I felt I needed to come here tonight." I wanted her to get to class, knowing there were some mature Christians in there who could give her the guidance she needs. She wouldn't have allowed me to speak anyway, she obviously just needed to be heard at that point. Sometimes we just need to be the listener.
The Lord revealed a lot to me in just those few minutes. He brings people to us in so many unusual ways. We're not always prepared for it, in fact, we never are! Why did He choose me in that instant? I believe it was because he knew I wouldn't judge her. He knew my heart would go out to her. He knew I would prompt others to pray for her. He knew I wouldn't allow others to gossip negatively about her, but to remind others that she is also a child of God. Hurting people hurt people. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this, from Christians mostly. But knowing that isn't enough! Do we just walk away because they're uncomfortable to be around? Someone needs to pray for them. If not you, then who?? I want her to know the God that I know so she can have peace in her life. Why? Because we are commanded to pray for others, that's why! It doesn't say just pray for people you like to be around, or for other Christians. It means everyone.
Is it easy to see others the way God sees them? No! Is it a breeze to pray favor over our "enemies"? No way! When someone has wronged us, treated us unfairly, gossiped about us, we want justice! How dare they? Well, it's a little hard for others to see the Spirit of God in us when we are lamenting about what someone said or did. I've been there and so have you at some point! And to gossip about it or to try to turn others against this offender? That is just like salt in the wound, and it only spreads more dissension. We all know the enemy loves dissension. Let's not buy into that. Compassion goes such a long way. It got this "mystery sister" some much needed attention and prayer. My main objective for sharing this story is to get this person the prayer she needs over her mind, body, and spirit. She took the first step in simply walking through the door. It's up to her and God if she decides to stay, but she will have my prayers. I hope she has yours too. I won't divulge her name, but I hope that doesn't matter to you. It doesn't matter to God, I'm sure. Thanks for listening, and for praying, if it crosses your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...