Friday, August 15, 2008

What You Think You See May Not Be...

My family is pretty goofy and outgoing. We will break into song or dance, do wild impersonations of insane things, put ridiculous dress up items on, and really crank it when we do Guitar Hero. That's just the short list. Add to that all the stuff I do, and we'd probably be committed to the loony bin. We just enjoy having fun and letting loose a little wild hair now and then. That's right, I'm FUN.

I'll bet you didn't know that, did you?

Those who think we are quiet people have just not had that unique opportunity to catch us being ourselves yet. I can't speak for Steve, but I have my reasons for being quiet. I am a more contemplative person. I think a lot!! I'm more of an introvert, but I love people and having fun. I love to laugh loudly and play jokes on people. And when I'm quiet, I become the best listener you'd ever want to have.

When I'm around people who know me well, I come right out of my little hermit crab shell, and give them the real me. One day I hope this will be easier and easier for me to do for everyone. One little sideways step at a time and we'll see what happens. I tend to be shy at first, but it doesn't last long!

One thing I know about being quiet is that it is okay! Will people label and judge? Sure! But they would do that anyway. Are all outgoing people loud and obnoxious? Some are, but most are just extroverted people. That is perfectly cool too! Don't assume that just because someone is loud that they are more fun to be around. Sometimes they're just louder! And don't assume that a quiet or shy person wants to be left alone. Most times they wish you'd come to them because coming to you is very difficult!

God made us the way we are for His purpose. He designed me to be who I am, and doesn't want me to be anyone else. I can serve him while I'm quiet and while I'm being a nutty ding dong. He knows how to use me to reflect him. I don't have to be what people expect and neither do you.
We are to encourage one another. That means everyone, whether they are like you or not! Challenge yourself to drop the labels and assumptions and just love the person inside!! You'll be surprised at the treasure you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...