Monday, January 11, 2010

Fearless Too

Today was the first day of our "Fearless" book study. (that's Max Lucado, in case you were wondering) While I won't discuss who was there and what we talked about, I can tell you a little bit about what we're learning and what is being reaffirmed.

Of 125 Christ-issued imperatives in the Gospels, 21 urge us to"not be afraid". That means we are being told not to fear more times than we are commanded to love! God sure knew what fear would do to us as humans, didn't he? (of course, he knows everything)

How I view fear is like that of the hub of a wheel. If fear is in the center, the wheel won't move, and all the spokes around it are paralyzed. If courage is in the center, the wheel can function freely. Like Max, I use metaphors to learn. That's why his books are so easy to comprehend, especially for a person who doesn't enjoy reading. I know, how weird is that?? :)

Here are some things Max has to say about what fear can do to us:

"fear corrodes our confidence in God's goodness".
"fear turns us into control freaks".
"the more insecure we feel, the meaner we become".
"fear releases the tyrant within."
"fear makes us forget what God has already done and can do".
"fear sucks the life out of our souls...drains us dry of contentment"
"fear-filled people cannot love deeply or give generously".
Fear, while not a sin, can lead to sin.

My favorite verse is 2 Timothy 1:7...

"For God did not give us (or insert your name) a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline".

I'm holding on to that one, my friends. I know a lot of what is "wrong" in me is rooted in fear. But like one person said today, "God will use your fear to help you." I truly believe that, and I can tell you that it is not easy!

Next week we're talking about the fear of not mattering. This book was not written for insecure, unstable, emotional, hysterical fraidy cats. This book was written for anyone, including the most secure Christian! Why? Because everyone at some time in their lives will encounter fear. Whether it's losing someone you love, or public speaking, a financial mess, a marriage or lack thereof, fear will knock on your door.

Max's advice? Don't let it in, and certainly don't let it sleep in your bed!!

Be blessed and be fearless! God is in control!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...