Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cupcaked Out

On Wednesday I spent the day at my sister's house, decorating and preparing for her stepson Travis's open house. We spent 6 hours transforming the walk out basement into a beach! So fun! She also lives on a lake, so the actual beach was just steps away. It was a record hot day, but we had fun, sweating like pigs all the while. The girls were a huge help, making all of Travis's signs and helping wherever they were needed. All in all, it was a great girl day with my mom, sister, and daughters.

On Thursday, I started baking the 96 cupcakes for the beach party. Four flavors, 24 each. No big deal. Again, my daughters spent the day with me in the kitchen, chatting while I mixed up batch after batch, drooling over the luscious smell in the house.

On Friday, it was serious decorating day for these cupcakes. While my sister asked for a simple design: brightly colored with sprinkles, I had to put my own touch on it. I wanted them to really fit in with the party, so I planned 4 different beach designs, doing 6 of each flavor in each design. It actually went well, again, with help from my girls, who cut fruit stripe gum into surfboards, and decorated Teddy Grahams with bikinis and swim trunks. The girls suggested maybe some shark fins and missing legs, of course. So tempting for me, although I played it cool and all, "oh, we can't do that for the party" snicker snicker. I would do it in a heartbeat!!

The cupcakes took about 7 hours to decorate, then another hour cleaning up the kitchen. Long day!

On Saturday, those cupcakes made the ride over and to their place on the dessert table. Lori (sister) absolutely loved them! The place looked great, the food was nearly ready, and the teens were ready to party. It was a Mexican buffet, need I say more? We ate everything and had absolutely no guilt at all! That's a party. We had fun watching the teens play on the jet ski and just relaxing while the party went smoothly. Ahhhh....

The story ends with one problem. Most of those cute little cupcakes were not eaten! There were so many other yummy desserts (peanut butter cake, who can compete?), homemade ice cream sandwiches, candies, etc... that my cupcakes were just for looks in the end! I sort of jokingly said, "you'll know where we live, because there will be a trail of cupcakes from Farwell to our house!" It got a laugh, but I seriously considered that. Shocking, I know.

Oh well. They had the right effect, and sometimes that just has to be enough in the end.

Now we're on to celebrating my brother's 50th birthday on Monday. I gave a suggestion of everyone giving him 50 of something. Hmmm...cupcakes anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...