Monday, July 11, 2011

Summertime...and the living is busy

Have you missed me? Well, that's okay if you didn't! I hope it means you're enjoying your summer instead of being on your computer (or phone)too much. I can't say I've missed blogging, because I just enjoyed having Steve home for a week! Although it was not the best time for us to try to get away, we did the old familiar "staycay", as annoying as the word is. Since putting in the pool, we feel like we're already on vacation whenever we step out onto the deck. We still have some finishing to do to make it safe for others to swim. The composite decking we are putting in is causing some grief, so at the time, the girls are "walking the plank" to get in the pool. Hopefully that is temporary! We are really anxious to share our pool with family and friends!

We attended my nephew's wedding on Saturday. He married his longtime high school sweetheart, another "Jamie", although with an "e" at the end of her name, unlike mine! Anytime there is a family gathering of exes, steps, and etcetera, it's a bit stressful, but things seemed to stay pretty neutral. For that I'm happy....so tired of drama! Not sure I want to share much here, but I did approach my "long lost" brother at the reception. I hadn't seen him since 1994 when I married Steve. Long story short, we shared a hello, a few details of our lives, and I encouraged him to "not be a stranger". We'll see.....like I said, not much I want to share at this time. I've stopped getting my hopes up based on past results.

Now you're saying, "That's so weird...dysfunctional....odd...sad...etc..", but these types of family situations have been my "normal" since I could walk. I don't know what "normal" is as it pertains to family. All I know is that my girls will not have the same fate as me! The cycle stops right here in our home. While I came from dysfunction, dysfunction is NOT who I am!! Sometimes I feel that way, but I know it's just a feeling and not the truth. I won't be wearing that badge anytime soon.

We are planning some getaways, and will hopefully be able to enjoy them. It seems our summer gets really planned out before we can plan our own fun. Between open houses, weddings, and some business travel, I never know when we will get away! I have become VERY protective of our weekends, trying to leave opportunities open. Some of our best trips have been impulsive, unplanned ones. Maybe because hubby sometimes needs some convincing to put the saw, lawnmower, hammer down!! :)Life is so short when you're 41, ya know?? I'm halfway done already!

With the girls getting older, I sometimes feel this frenetic need to go all the places we want to go before they don't want to go anymore! It's a crazy feeling I never had when they were little. It's like I'm trying to cram it all in. Ugh...so not fun. Maybe it's my desperate need to stop time. Yeah, I'm going with that one.

So, before time gets away from you, go have some fun. Sure, fulfill all your summer obligations (reunions...ugh..sorry, but ugh..), but make time for your family, whoever that is!

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...