Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What Makes Us Tick Anyway?

I was having a conversation with a family member last week and a couple of words came up that described me. Regimented. Goody Goody. Now, it only described me in relation to what we were discussing. You know how that works, don't you? Haven't you ever been around someone who is so distinctly different than you that your traits just blare in comparison? Okay, you need an example, apparently.

I need to handle this topic a bit delicately, because I'm trying not to pass judgement, but different is different, not necessarily worse or better. Okay. So, the recent party we attended was full of lots of party activities that we don't engage in. Personally, my opinionated self thinks that we don't need beer at a teen's open house. Though I've seen it at more than I can count! So, yes, I seemed like a "regimented goody goody" when I shared that opinion with my family member. However, at a Bible study, I feel more like the rebel when I say something out of ignorance or lack of knowledge. It's all relative.

See why we're not to compare ourselves to others? It sets us up to be at risk of behaving like chameleons; people who just transform to their environment to please someone else. I guess I'd rather appear to be a regimented goody goody than a phony. I guess I'd rather feel like a rebel than think I know it all. Being genuine to yourself won't make you popular. I tell my kids this all the time! So while I stick out like a sore thumb at most large family gatherings, probably getting labeled something pollyannish, I don't really care anymore! I am who I am, and I go home happy about that! More importantly, I love and laugh with those members of the family; I just don't like what they do. Some of them don't like what I "do" either, but I'm letting God work on them.

So, how do you survive in a world/family/workplace that opposes your core self? Flip it around....how can they best survive you? Can we mix well with others and keep our judgements at bay? Is it easier said than done? All the Scripture in the world won't help us with this is we don't change our heart attitudes about these things. How can members of the same family be so distinctly different? What makes us tick anyway? I know Who makes me tick. I just don't know the "what" yet!

Galatians 6:4 says this:

"Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load."

And of course, Matthew 7:1-5 says it all:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother,'Let me take the speck out of your eye', when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Whew....lots to think about today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...