Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gray Clouds and Silver Linings

Scary gray sky...loud, strong winds....tornado coverage on the tv. These are things we're just not used to around this part of the mitten! And what we're really not used to is an EF1 tornado, 5 miles long, ripping through our community! Praise God, no one was hurt in this one, but we saw many uprooted trees all the way to school. A few people in our area lost outbuildings or garages and some possessions. Nothing compared to what other states have had to endure.

I have to say, the news coverage was beginning to concern me when I turned the tv on after dinner, and our nearby community was circled in red! I called my parents, and they were experiencing severe rain, wind, and hail. The instructions said to go to the basement, but we didn't. Daredevils! In fact, I opened the front door and watched the sky, mesmerized by its intensity. When the wind began to push our big strong trees around like they were paper, I decided to shut the door! I could tell by the radar that we weren't in the "danger zone", just in case you think I'm crazy for doing that!

I think we get so used to seeing this kind of stuff on TV that we don't stop and think that it could happen to us. We feel bad and cry with people we don't know on the screen. We might even pray for them or send money. But we've never had to BE them. I hope this serves as a reminder that regardless of where you live, you should always be ready to handle whatever comes.

As for me and my family, that means knowing our Lord and Savior and being ready to go at any time! (I'm just glad it wasn't THIS time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...