Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Laughing our Booties Off

When our girls were little, it was easy to make them laugh. I mean, we could do just about anything, and they would fall over in a fit of giggles. I loved it. Finally, someone laughing at my jokes! A captive audience of sorts.

It's harder to make them laugh now that they are the full-grown, ripe old ages of 12 and 14, but it does happen from time to time. Mostly by mistake, of course. Usually my unintentional ones.

Take the other day, for example, as I was kicking a clear, glitter-filled ball through the house, trying to get it out of my way. I was running into the kitchen for whatever reason, and next thing I knew...Face plant! Right there on the kitchen floor! I was laughing so hysterically that the girls, who witnessed it from the bar, just looked horrified at me for a second, then busted out laughing. Serena managed to squeak out an 'are you okay, mom?' before dissolving into more laughter. I tried to say "yes", but I just kept laughing. Then I hear, "hey, take a picture of mom on the floor!" So, there I was, uncertain of my injuries at that time, and one of them snapped a picture of me. With my own phone! Aren't they just hilarious?

So, I had a sore knee for a couple days, but honestly, it was just what I needed. For days I would just think about it and laugh all to myself. I really should wipe out more often!

We also made the 'mistake' of letting Natalie watch "The Mask" with Jim Carrey. Oh, my goodness, remember how silly that movie was? Natalie has been acting out scenes from the movie lately, reducing all of us to mushy piles of laughter. She's done the whole "slo-mo" routine, the football player in a tutu yelling "i'm open!" She keeps saying, "somebody stop me!" and need I mention the 'butt-cheek' talking scene?? I'm just bracing myself for all of this to be over. I can't take it. My sides are killing me!

Serena has taken to staring at us until we look away. She's the silent but deadly comedian, I suppose, until she does her frequent fall down the stairs and her "I'm okay!!" that follows.

Last night Steve chased me into the bedroom, claiming he was tired of my teasing of him (what??). It was dark, and when he shut the door, he hid on me. Not funny!! Did I mention I hate surprises and being startled?? I was too scared to find the door, so I sat on the bed very quietly so I could try to hear him. Of course, then he jumped out and grabbed me, scaring the bejeebers out of me. I quit teasing him after that! I can't help that he gives me good material, ya know??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...