Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Four-Legged Angels

It was almost a year ago that we had to make the painful decision to have our dear Sophie put to sleep. I haven't been able to talk about this much, and it is still quite a hard subject for me. Some days I can talk freely, some days I choke up and can't finish my sentence. Loving and caring for a dog for 15 years was quite an honor for me and my family. She was one of us. To let her go was one of the hardest things I personally ever had to do. Steve and I still can't seem to share the details of her last day, and that's okay. I think we just have a quiet knowing when we look at each other and remember. One thing he said to me as I sat in a heap after her burial has stuck with me since. I tearfully sobbed out, "I can't ever do this again. It hurts too much." He took me in his arms and said, "I would live this week over again just to have those 15 years of love with her again." And he was right. We need that kind of love in our home. We are animal lovers. They need us! Sophie came from a rescue mission when we got her in 1996. Since then, we decided that every dog we would have would also be a rescue. Every dog who wasn't wanted would get to decide if they want us. So the search for a new family member began just a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit different now than it was back then. Funding for shelters was cut, and so many private foster dog operations have been started. It's still the humane society, and very regulated, much to our relief. We got lucky the first time without any information on Sophie at all. Now when you look for a dog, you see their history and their requirements. Though you may think it's your perfect dog, they want to make sure you are the perfect owner. We began looking at dogs online, hundreds of them. It's sad, really. So cute and so in need of love. One stood out to Steve and he presented her to me in a text. "I think I found u a dog." I texted back, "tell me more". And this began our quest for "Angel". He wasn't quite sure why she stood out, but I had to trust him. After all, when we got Sophie, I couldn't even step foot in the shelter! I made him go in and just pick one out! I didn't care what it was, just get me a dog to love! So, I have to trust his instinct on this one. "Angel" is an American Eskimo/Maltese mix...white and fluffy and cute as a bug. She's got a great disposition. She's shy around people she doesn't know, but once she warms up, she's your best friend. I can relate to that! Step one is completing a three page application. You basically give out everything but your underwear size! :) We waited patiently to hear back, and finally we got notice today that our application was accepted and that "Angel" was available for a home visit. They want to make sure that our home and our family is the best place possible for her, so they're coming to see us on Thursday! I'm trying not to get too hopeful, but so many "coincidences" seemed to lead us to her. I hope she's the one, but if not, I'm sure we'll find another "angel" to love. I have had such a hole in my heart since I lost my best 4-legged friend. I can't replace her and wouldn't even try. But I know that I am ready to give another dog the love she needs. And maybe I'll just get some back in return. Oh, who are we kidding? Dogs just love me!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...