Thursday, April 26, 2012

Love in the NeighborWoods

The woods are alive....with the sound of owls? Last night as I was trying to finish up the dishes, Steve was bugging me to go outside with him. I've been fighting a nasty cold for awhile, so the last thing I wanted to do was go outside at night. That and he was carrying a bottle of gorilla glue. Did I want to be the dummy holder end of something while my nose is running? Um, no. So, he went out alone and I finished the dishes. A few minutes later, he came running back in with a crazed look on his face. "Get out here! You gotta hear this noise..it scared me!" Yeah, okay, so if some insane noise is scaring your big strong afraid-of-nothing husband, you wanna run right out there, right? Nope. But my curiosity got the best of me and I stepped out on the deck to hear anyway. I gotta admit, it was a pretty cool sound. Somewhere between a ooh ooh ah ah of a monkey and a whoooo of a wolf. We then saw the noisemakers....2 ginormous owls, one sort of "pursuing" the other. "Isn't that a freaky sound?" Says my gorilla glue husband. "Freaky indeed," I agreed. We decided that like everything else in the woods right now, they were having a little romantic interlude. At least it was better than the turkey action last year. I'm such a city girl, really. I try to slap my knee and sing, "Thank God I'm a Country Girl", but as soon as I see a snake, I'm running and wailing like a nutcase. You know how I am with chipmunks too...told that story a few times. I can't help it. They outnumber me! I have a mama bird nesting on the gutter pipe, so Natalie has had to curb her piano jamming for the time being. I told her to play softly....I know, these animals have me trained. City girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...