Saturday, October 26, 2013

Stuff I don't normally talk about..

Today was "wake up annoyed" day. I hate these days. I should be pretty happy, as my hubby has been in Georgia all week and he finally got home last night. We went to the football game, watched our daughter march for the last time this season. We watched our team win big and we laughed with some friends from church.

But earlier in the week, my mom called me. I didn't even get a chance to tell her Steve was gone because she had another call come in and told me she had to take it. I assumed as it always seems to turn out, that it was the "prayer chain" calling. It used to be the food bank that always interrupted. I've gotten used to these sporadic conversations, but to be honest, I don't like it. I found out at the game that it was my sister's call she took, and no, she never did call me "right back". This only bugs me because I am made to feel that I "take her for granted". Funny, I feel that way too.

Somehow I hoped her "retirement" would have opened up some time to spend together, but she's not really retired. She's busier than ever. And that's fine if she wants to be busy all the time, but to me it's a flashback to my childhood where all she did was work. And work. And work.  I have stopped to visit, but I kid you not, her phone rings off the wall, and unless it's an 800 number, she will take it, and she will talk to whoever it is. I have left there many a time while she is still on the phone. No, I don't take you for granted. I just never seem to get you alone.

And so it is with Mother/Daughter relationships. I already have a better relationship with my girls that my mom had with me. Maybe it's because I chose to stay at home and raise them that we've got such a strong bond. They have grown up playing with their mom, which is something I have never done with mine. I have jumped in leaves with them, played in lakes with them, wrestled, and done all the crazy stuff they want to do, and it makes me overjoyed. Better yet, they are well-adjusted, intelligent, talented, open-minded, and fun-loving. They tell me anything, for the most part. I bite my tongue and give them the wisdom God told me to give them!

I relish in being a mother. It is my calling. It is a gift and a joy to be a mom. I am grateful every day that God chose me for those special girls. I can only hope that my retirement will include driving or flying to see them and their families as much as they'll allow.  This will be my legacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...