Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A-Ha Moment

I just got one of those "A-Ha" moments Oprah's always talking about. I was reading a post from another blogger this morning. It was about codependency. When you hear that word, what do you think of? I've only ever heard this word used in college psychology or on Dr. Phil. I thought it was one of those specialty words applying to drug or alcohol abuse or "enabling". It's not special at all, it turns out.

This word has to do with me. Here is the definition given in her post:

"Codependency is when we plug into people, places, or things as the source of life. So when my life isn't going so great, I blame_______________________for being the source of my problems."

Wow. I didn't think I really did this, but in some ways, I do.When I'm not feeling strong, I have two choices.


1. Fix it myself. (source of problems)
2. Ask God to help. (source of life)

Codependency fits for both of these choices. If I try to fix something myself, I usually make myself a part of something that has nothing to do with me. If I'm upset about someone or something, placing blame doesn't do anything but keep me stewing in it with no solution. Meanwhile, I am losing my joy and peace.
Stewing=codependency on problems.

If I "plug in" and allow God in to do the damage control, I can have peace. I can know that He will let me know what to do, when to do it, and most importantly, how He wants me to handle it. While I wait, I can stay in peace, knowing the answer is coming.
Letting go=codependency on God.

So I've had the "A-Ha" moment. That doesn't necessarily mean I have it all figured out. But it's definitely something worth pursuing.




1 comment:

sirnorm1 said...

Good word! Thank you

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...