Thursday, May 26, 2016

Just be Present

No tears tonight. Just lots of joy, because both of my girls played their hearts out, using the gifts God gave them. And as we stood waiting to give Natalie 4 red roses to celebrate 4 years of high school band, a younger band student walked up to me and asked, who are those for? I said, my daughter, Natalie. She smiled, and said, oh, she's really good! 
And good she is, as her band director of 8 years presented her with the highest band award, the John Philip Sousa Award, during the concert tonight. 
She has loved music all of her life, played many instruments, and all of it has led to her pulling others toward her. A quiet girl by nature, music has allowed her to express herself in a way that feels more comfortable. 
Nothing brings me more joy than to see my girls doing what they love. Tonight as I watched them on stage together for the last time, I couldn't cry. I could only be grateful for all the years they've been given together, making music in our home and at school. 
What a blessing and what a reward it is for me as a mom to just observe. Just hear, and just be present. 

1 comment:

Angela said...

So glad that you were able to enjoy such a special evening. Congratulations again to Natalie on that distinguished award.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...