Saturday, December 4, 2010

Frankenmuth Fun.. a nice long post...get a cup of coffee first

Today was our annual family trip to Frankenmuth! This year was even better, with the addition of my brother Jeff and his wife, Lisa, their two boys, and my sister and her husband. We had much to celebrate, including dad's birthday and his 5 year cancer-free anniversary!

We started out with a CRAZY trip to Bronner's, in which my ADD kicked in and I basically walked around in circles! There were so many people there, it was ridiculous. Ridiculous, I'm telling you!

We then headed over to Zehnders for the famous chicken dinner, which was really super delicious! We did a little shopping, then stood in a very long freezing line to take a carriage ride around town. We stuffed all 6 of us in that carriage, in which the horse driving had one question, "What's this....an elephant??" Seriously, we put a lot of weight in that carriage! It was a lot of fun, looking at all the lights and cracking jokes about how scrunched in we were. For some reason, my quirky comment about a moist towelette got some big laughs. Just say "moist towelette" and you just may laugh. Try it. Cheap fun, I say.

Now, you may be wondering just who was watching my precious Sophie while we were gone. My brother, Tim, was not feeling like joining us on the trip, so he volunteered to come to my house and watch our sweet doggie. He hand fed her, carried her outside, and kept her company all day. He really has a heart for animals, and I don't think he realizes what a gift that is! It was such a blessing to be able to leave the house for longer than 3 hours and not worry about her. It's been so long since we've been able to go anywhere without worrying about her first. I was feeling guilty about him not coming with us, and he said, "really, I just can't eat all that salmonella (chicken), and I don't like to be cold!" okay, good enough.

We have come a long way as a family in the past few years. I credit God and only God for all of the good that has happened. I am still in awe at how He has worked out some of the most difficult issues. I am still waiting for some things to change, and for some people to come around.

Things may be a bit light at Christmas time with a couple of the family members, but my dad has always maintained that whoever wants to be here will be here and whoever does not, should not. I'm all for peacemaking and being forgiving, but I can't change another person's perception of the world. I can't make someone believe the way I believe. I can't pound it into their heads, though I wish that would work!

Chistmas time for me is all about love. Loving those who are easy to love, and loving those who are more difficult to love. That's what God does for us. That's what he intended when he gifted us with His Son. Am I always easy to love? Probably not 100% of the time! I know, I can't believe it either!

So, if you love someone who doesn't act loving to you in return, if you have been mistreated because they are mad at someone close to you, if you've been talked about by a family member in a negative way....here's what you do...

You let God take care of it! Be the light you are made to be, love who will let you in, and pray for those who aren't ready to love you yet. Chances are, they don't love themselves, and that's sad. Remember, you have a relationship with God. They don't. THe goal is to help them get there, not point out all their flaws to them!

Sadly, sometimes it just doesn't change. The family member you pray for, the one you try to be kind to, the one you know you have to tiptoe around....they just won't come around. I've learned that I can't let it change who I am with other people. I can't let it affect my trust level with others. I certainly shouldn't spend too much time analyzing why why why. Family relationships can be so complicated! I can remember really questioning God about why he chose some of these people to be in my family. We are nothing alike! We don't like the same things. We don't live the same way. We don't agree on politics, religion, the weather! It's crazy, but I'm just curious enough to watch what God is doing and where He plans to take this crazy family of mine. It's a ride, for sure, and getting more interesting every day!

Be blessed with whoever (and whatever, in come cases) shares your DNA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...